MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

We are on Ch0ru$ MMDS in Cork. We had 3 boxes running in parallel from the same ariel up to recently, before the ariel got damaged in the wind. I ordered new parts from bubble supplies and replicated the system exactly as it used to be. Now 2 of my boxes (The Box-T and Eurovox TX) work perfectly, however my original Dreambox 600T (not a clone) wont find any transponders?

When I enter the manual scan menu on the Dreambox, it shows the following:

SNR = between 98% and 99%
    AGC = around 65%
    BER = 0

I have tried both automatic (using terresrial.xml) and manual scans (using the frequencies that work on the other boxes), but I cannot get a LOCK. When I do the scan it does not find any transponders (or any channels - obviously).

It seems very strange as I know my H/W set-up is correct (the other 2 boxes work). I have tried flashing the box again with the latest "PLi Jade Final - for the Dreambox DM600PVR", but still no luck.

Any ideas greatly appreciated - Thanks.

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Hopefully the voltage from the power inserter its blocked from traveling down the cable and damage the dreambox tuner.

3. SID01

SID01 Member

Hi guys, I have a Ch***s MM*S box and a Eur*vo* *X. My problem is that I can only get a signal on the box which has the power supply/downconverter attached. I have the proper splitter in place (DC passthrough). My question is how do i get a signal on both at the same time (different rooms :-0)Do I need a second power supply/downconverter?
    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

4. lark8

lark8 Member

i am having the same problems as jimme with the signal dropping off and am wondering how he got he's sorted in the end. level about 80% and quality about 48% half my stations are perfect and the rest keep freezing or dropping off, checked all the usual stuff. the aerial i am using is a wire one 21db, thinking of getting the mesh one 24db will this sort it.

5. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

i'm afraid i never got that installation working :(

i believe there were too many obstructions (mainly tall trees) between the house and the transmitter.

i have found from time to time that a poor quality downconverter can cause such problems. i purchased one from bubblesupplies recently that worked very well.

let me know how u get on.

6. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

if the dreambox tuner was damaged would the SNR and AGC readings still be so good? in the manual scan section everything seems fine except i cant get a LOCK.

if the tuner is damaged, would it be a case of just buying a replacement tuner module or would i need to replace the whole box. the dreambox 600T is rather expensive :(

7. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The tuner at a 600t is pluggable and therefor easy to replace.
    Try the whole thing first at a other aerial befor you think about replacing anything.

8. Fano

Fano Regular member

Normally if the tuner is blown the AGC is zero.
    If the tuner is faulty all you need is a replacement dvb-t tuner ,they are ~40 euro .

9. a7v8x

a7v8x Member

Just wondering if there is a cheap meter for helping to site the mmds antenna. I have one of the cheap Lidl sat meters would I be able to use that and if so what side of the power supply does it go?

10. satguy99

satguy99 Member

the lidl sat meter or any sat meter will not work ,,,different technology

11. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Ok, got a new tuner module for my Dreambox 600T - but still no luck!

Again, I am 100% sure the feed is working. Both my Eurovox TX and The Box-T are both working flawlessly.

I have copied the terrestrial.xml file to the box - does not work. I have also inputted the frequencies/settings manually. I seem

Here is a picture of my setting:
    [​IMG]

I've tried multiple flashing images and I've tried flashing backup images which used to work for me on the same box. Would anyone have any ideas. Don't want to throw out a €300+ box :-(

12. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

It looks like you are at frequency scheme B.
    Did you try a scan at 258000 or 274000?
    If you are at frequency scheme A try 234000.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  13. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

No I haven't tried a scan at 258mhz or 274mhz yet. I tried the same frequencies as reported by the working Eurovox TX and The Box-T. This includes 242mhz as shown in the image I posted. I am using a new downconverter (see downconverter details) - could this make a difference? I am on my way home soon and I'll give it a try.

I have tried 234000, but get the same result (no lock).

14. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Have just tried 234000, 258000 and 274000. None of them work :(

Most of the time the BER is 0, but occasionally jumps to 1,654,290. But it is never anything in between. I realize that the high BER figure indicates a lot of noise on the line, but when I connect the line into either of my other 2 boxes I get perfect reception.

Can I ask if the following settings are correct:
    Code:
    Inv: off
    Constellation: 64-QAM
    Guard: 1/32
    Bandwidth: 8MHz
    Transm. Mode: 8k
    Coderate LP: 2/3
    Coderate HP: 2/3
    -----------------
    use ONIT: off
    use BAT: off
    only Free: off
    network search: off
    -----------------
    disable 5v: on

15. alec76

alec76 Member

Jimme, i know u pain:) it is new downconverter+ dreambox 600
    scanning issue . if u looking for 242 mhz u have to do 241900000 instead and so on
    btw pli IOLITE image whould be the best for scanning (not jade)
    i'll pm u my terrestrial.xml -- 99% u will be sorted m8
    - dont use manual scan with jade - IT IS WON'T lock
    do automatic scan(jade or iolite)

or manual with the Iolite
    PLi® Iolite 2008 Edition - for the Dreambox DM600pvr
    http://www.pli-images.org/downloads.php?cat_id=8
    check private messages :)

16. yellow32

yellow32 Member

Hi all
    I was looking at an MMDS aerial on sale from a pretty good website.. would this work in place of a c****s aerial? running a Digivox T in Cla*e. Is it handy to hook up and would there be a lot of maintenance with it?

Cheers for any info

17. jicjoc

jicjoc Member

Hi guys,
    I cant seem to find a complete step by step guide for a dreambox
    Can someone point me at a step by step guide to flashing a dreambox 500 from start to finish please?

I have a box and had it working with Gemini 4? before xmas. But it only decrypted the RTE channels not sky. What i had done at the time was cobbled together and id like to do it right this time.

I couldnt figure out how to get the keys on there, or where they go? Is there an all in one image that includes keys that can be downloaded?

Thanks again
    J

18. jicjoc

jicjoc Member

Things are going much better now withdw 2.0 installed. It found a transponder and is scanning it now. How long does a Transponder Scan take? Its 15 mins in now and no progress...

19. hillman40

hillman40 Member

Hi see from the many threads that that the introduction of the new encryption (Nagra 3) which appears to be a more robust encryption system, means that those using cable boxs are loosing there channels. Wondering if the MMDS system is doomed to the same fate and if so when are they likely to start the changeover?

20. yammagamm

yammagamm Regular member

mmds gone there now as well, is it gone to nag3 now ?as my setup can handle nag2