1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

As far as I am aware they still do although not in 100% of cases.

2. achiman

achiman Member

i see that the 7 available psu on flea bay were snapped up fair quick
    he will be a busy chappy if they work.....

3. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hi - I am a complete beginner and would really appreciate some advice.

I was a ch0rus customer with an analogue antenna and analogue box. As ch0rus have not collected the equipment from me I still receive the MMDS signal and can watch the limited number of analogue channels.

Having read this forum I am hoping to buy a new box (dreambox, eurovox, … etc) however I do not know if I will need to buy a new antenna? Do analogue antennas allow for the receiving of digital signals? Has any one tried using an old Ch0rus analogue antenna with one of these boxes?

4. jock54

jock54 Member

You could possibly get away with the analogue antenna if you are in a very strong signal strength area, clear line of sight to the transmitter, if not you will need a high gain antenna. My advice to you if you are buying a dreambox keep away from this crowd http://www.dreamboxshop.co.uk/. I bought one receiver off them and they are nothing but trouble.

5. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Thanks jock54.

Does anyone know how I can test the signal strength without purchasing expensive equipment?

Or is it best to just buy a dreambox and hope it works? People seem to be having difficulty sourcing antennas, downconverters and power supplies. Not sure if I would have the money or expertise to source and purchase the necessary compatible items.

6. Fano

Fano Regular member

@Jimme.
    Borrow a Chorus subbed box off a friend and see if you can watch the channels with your analogue aerial.You will know then if you require a more modern aerial.

7. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

From reading this forum it would seem that the best receivers available to pick up ch0rus mmds are:
    Dreambox 500-T and Dreambox 600-T

However I cannot source any of these on ebay and have been advised to avoid dreamboxshop.co.uk. Are there any sites which can be recommended for purchasing one of these receivers at a reasonable price? Or are there other receivers which will pick up ch0ras mmds in the cork area?

8. rs2coins

rs2coins Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  9. Fano

Fano Regular member

You wont find many 500T units on Ebay.
    The only way is to get a clone from a Chinese manufacturer or an importer.
    There is a new Starview box specifically designed for Chorus MMDS due out in the next few weeks for ~150 euro.
    It has been mooted for some time now but it does seem to be almost due for release.
    You could try here www.dreamboxmagic.co.uk but their delivery cost to Ireland is expensive.

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Pre orders are been taken for the new Starview called "The Box -T", end of month release.

11. Fano

Fano Regular member

Nice one,I wonder will it have the 7 day EPG ,would be a slight advantage as the Dreambox only has now and next.

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Dont know for sure Fano as it was hard enough getting a date never mind that sort of info :)

13. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

There is no difference between a mmds aerial for analogue and digital except maybe a not so good antenna cable for a older analogue installation.

14. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

From what I have read, it would seem that “TheBox-T” is worth waiting until the end of October for. It also seems to be reasonably priced.

While it is being promoted as being specifically for the Irish MMDS market, how do we know that there will be images, keys, etc... available for it and that we will be able to watch scrambled channels provided by ch0ru$?

Please excuse me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I am a complete beginner. Also, does anyone have technical spec for "TheBox-T" - I can't seem to find the manufacturers website.

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You could try first an usb dvb-t stick for 15 euro for your pc.

16. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

When I purchase my box (either a DreamBox 500T, a TheBox-T or temporarily I might try a USB dvb-t stick) I assume I will need to install some software and get my hands on some keys. I am living in Cork and intend to access ch0ru$ mmds.

Could someone let me know where I can find this software or is there a website I could read up on this stuff rather than bothering you all every time I have a question? Thanks

17. offalyman

offalyman Member

18. RoryG

RoryG Member

To whom it concerns.
    It didn't work with the USB stick simply because of the driver. (Its trying to change windows system files.)
    Works ok with the freecom viewer software for FTA channels, but when I try ProgDVB XP crashes and restarts.

19. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

RoryG, have you tried installing the BDA drivers available on the freecom website? Not the drivers that came with the device. I also have the difficulty with ProgDVB crashing occasionally, but you may be able to use other software once you have the BDA drivers working.

20. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

If you installed the drivers from the freecom cd you installed the wdm drivers.
    I wrote all the time bda drivers are needed.