1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMDS Set-up Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smartjj72, May 3, 2007.

1. gracem

gracem Member

Thanks Fano , with the use of a home made attenna and more foil , i now have all the transponsers and excellent picture quality , wouldnt be confident in using the all in one outdoors as it does require a parabolic but happy now its up and running.

2. mayto

mayto Member

gracem, would you recommend the antenna you bought considering you had to modify it i think. I have a mate interested in buying a mmds aerial as you have done. can you get better quality ones anywhere else? all that i could see was the same one you bought from satandcable.

3. Fano

Fano Regular member

A good All in One (Yagi) antenna will be as good as a parabolic grid.
    The typical gain of a stand alone down converter is 32 db, plus the gain of the antenna rod (18db) =50dbi.
    The yagi is excellent for an area where you may have some obstructions, i.e., trees or buildings.
    If you are a very long distance from the transmitting antenna, you may need a larger antenna, but then it would probably be a 24 or 28 db gain antenna.

4. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

A yagi cannot be as good as a dish/parabolic. There is no antenna rod which can deliver 18dbi.
    If you don't need the extra signal strength a yagi is not bad. If you are based more far away from a transmitter or beambender a dish/parabolic is a must.
    The amps are not much different.

5. baxtard

baxtard Member

Hello, Sorry to butt in but any help would be great. Just got the box t, pre flashed with latest firmware. Problem is, when doing an autoscan, it's finding 'no programs'. I've been using this MMDS aeriel. (not sure if this picture will work), for the last couple of years, with an old jerrold box and can still pick up a couple of analog channels bbc, utv, etc. Have been reading the thread, and seen mentioned on occasion a down convertor. Will I need one of these for the box t?
    Perhaps it is possible that I can only pick up analog signal, and not digital signal in my area, (East Co Clare)?

[​IMG]

6. baxtard

baxtard Member

7. alec76

alec76 Member

ok, i've got dvb-t module for my dm600pvr along with SatandCable aerial.
    i am based 5-6 miles away from a transmitter .
    this aerial NO GOOD for such distance!!!!
    yep, i was able to scan transporders ( had to modified terrestrial.xml though) but signal is too weak. BER rate is just terrible-- no stable reception so far
    gracem can you post few pictures of your modified AERIAL ?
    WELL, i know this aerial is too bad, i wouldn't recommend to buy one of these , but at least i can use downconverter + powerinserter

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  8. Fano

Fano Regular member

The yagis SatandCable are selling are obviously poor quality.
    My neighbour has a good quality Yagi pointed at a transmitter 13 miles away and it has an snr of 99%,0 Ber on all channels.
    For MMDS to work well you need clear line of sight to the transmitter .
    Obstructions like trees and hills will affect reception.
    If you are pointing at a beam bender the range wont be as good as a primary transmitter though .

9. claret08

claret08 Member

They work fine from SatandCable. Ive got a few mates in Co Cork that have had them, no problems, you just have to set them up correctly

10. alec76

alec76 Member

Fano here is this aerial, any chance for the improvement?
    bigger reflector or longer yagi etc.?

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  11. Fano

Fano Regular member

The Yagi looks ok,its a 22 element version.
    You cannot really add an extra length of rod to it .
    The antenna gain can be approximated by counting the total number of elements and then using this formula: 10 log (number of elements). Example, a 22-element Yagi has an approximate gain of 13.4 dB.
    If you are only 5-6 miles from the transmitter you should have a decent signal ,as I've said I've seen Yagis running at up to 15 miles from a transmitter,I havent tried further.
    Are there trees blocking your line to the transmitter ?
    How high are your snr levels ? Is the snr fluctuating ?
    Make sure the rod is screwed well into the baseplate.
    Perhaps you are too near the transmitter ,try just one rod element and see does this lower the ber.
    I have seen very high ber levels if you are too near the transmitter and the signal overloads the yagi but that was < 2 mile range.
    Hope this helps.

12. spongerob

spongerob Member

i reckon i'm about 6 or 7 miles from my local transmitter...should one of these yagi aerials work ok? Also where can i get a high quality one from?

I'm also wondering how important is line of sight with these aerials? Theres a few trees at the end of my garden which wouldn't be in the way if I put the aerial on the chimney, but to be honest I don't know if I'd feel comfortable climbing around on the roof of the house...wondering if it could work ok mounted on the side of the house?

Hoping to use the aerial with a dreambox if possible....any success stories?

Thanks folks

13. claret08

claret08 Member

The ones from satandcable work fine, if you are out of range for a yagi just get a normal mesh type one

14. norris21

norris21 Member

hi all i was wondering if anyone can help

i've been reading a lot of post but i still have a few questions

i live in south tipperary in the country side and am looking to get chourus

is there a way of getting a signal test done first before i go buying aerials. would it be easier to get chourus to install it.

if it passes a signal test which aerial do i need and what receiver box is the best. a lot of posts mention differnt ones for differnt systems

thanks for all your help in this matter

cheers

15. jock54

jock54 Member

It will all depend on your location line of site to the transmitter. Good high gain aerial downconverter power supply, frobably best box to go for would be the dreambox 600t but you will need to install software into that when you get it, tricky enough to do if you haven't done it before. Sent you a pm with more details .

16. phat1

phat1 Member

SCOUSER CAN YOU HELP ME OUT PLEASE I have bought the box-t,i was told this box will do for my area in cork i am 7 miles from nearest transmitter, and all i need to to is get an mmds aerial on this site http://www.satandcable.co.uk/s/index.php?cPath=44 but which one do i get an all in 1 aerial with converter and power supply or do i get a mesh/dish 1 and get the converter and power supply on its own,I know some1 who will do the software on the box and fit the aerial once i get it,so would i be right in thinking once i get the aerial sorted that i dont need a contract with c****s? i only have sky in my house.

17. bogeyman8

bogeyman8 Member

aerial 9 on the sat and cable websire is perfect with the dreambox t to work on the ch***s MM*S network,no contract needed

18. phat1

phat1 Member

Thanks for the reply will it work with the box-t aswell,i take it that it will,aerial 9 is this one....... MMDS Integrated downconverter + aerial (including power supply

19. spongerob

spongerob Member

hi folks....i need a bit of help if possible!!

have a yagi set up and pointing out an open velux window in my attic, i managed to get a lock and sync last night on 698mhz, and a list of about 80 services was stored.

I could get full epg on all channels, but the only channel that i could actually watch was channel 6....all the others just showed a black screen?

Do you think i'm not getting a strong enough signal? Is there any way to boost it? Or maybe i'm getting interference from the window?

Also, i'm using a dreambox 500c with dw 2.0 image, what images do u guys use?

Thanks for any help

20. bogeyman8

bogeyman8 Member

that is the correct aerial and it will work on the any dreambox with a T tuner and also on the box-t and eurovox-tx