1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mmold virus?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

I just had friend call and tell me he has a very nasty virus called mmold. He said it has taken over his comp and he can't get rid of it. I have never heard of it and nothig came up in google. Is this a virus and if so what can he do to kill it. Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have him run an online scan with antivirus.com free housecall & try avg7 free version. also run ad-aware se & spybot s&d. but clean out all cookies temp & temporary internet folders before running those programs. what anti-virus program & windows is he using?

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

He is using Avast antivirus and Ad Aware SE (free download). He told me he has removed over 100,000 pieces of spyware in the last two months.I told him to disconnect from the internet ( pull the wire) and run those programs. He said he has and trace his problem to a folder called mmold, and he can't remove it. I have sent an email to him asking the location of the mmold folder.
    BTW he is running XP Home with SP2.
    Thanks ddp for your time to help.
    Hogan

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tell him to run things in safemode & possible to remove folder in safemode. have hime check his msconfig/startup for things not supposed to be there. get him to download ccleaner from ccleaner.com to clear all the crap out of windows & to keep running & fixing issuses in that program til no more popup, might take 3-5 runs before finished. is he using fat32 or ntfs format??

5. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Well mmold is not a virus it is spyware thats all. And AdAware blows when it comes to removing spyware cause it just comes back. Anyways go to microsoft.com and on their homepage they have a Beta version of their new spy ware remover that will get rid of it for sure.

6. hogan

hogan Regular member

ddp,
    I think he is running ntfs. I will tell him about ccleaner.

cky2084,
    I will also tell him about MS spy ware. He need some help. He was going to reformat and reinstall. I told him I would find out here what to do.
    Thanks guys.
    Hogan