1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile PhoneTools v3.0 US

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by motomania, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I'm having the same problem with my v220. I've looked into all of the other threads, but I still have the problem. I've installed, uninstalled, updated, etc... I have win 98se, mpt 3.19e, I have downloaded the p2k98 drivers, and attempted to install the v220 phone using these drivers, but I keep getting the "file does not contain drivers for this product" or some thing of that sort. I have downloaded the p2k98 from a few different sites, but I don't know if ther is a problem with my phone or what. I have occaisionally reached a point in the installation (after the drivers were not recognized) where I could get the mpt to begin initalizing, but it has never worked. I've no idea what to do now. Please help. I'll owe ya a pint.

2. dwjantz

dwjantz Member

Sounds like your program isn't pointing to the drivers. When you install the program has to be pointed to wherever you have the drivers downloaded. If it is on My Documents, have it install from there.

3. Marine22

Marine22 Member

Do you think it's possible most of these probs are comming from SP2? I'm about to uninstall mine and try to install MPT1.23, 2, then 3.11 and see if it catches it. Just wondering how many people who are having probs have SP2 and who have gotten it solved don't.

4. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Julieann, if you have either a "?" or "!" under USB Controllers, then you have a problem with the USB drivers on your motherboard and that's a completely separate issue. If your computer is a brand name, head over to their website and search for downloads for your particular model (or google search something like "make model usb driver" where you insert your brand and model #. If you have a custom built PC you have to figure out your motherboard maker or the particular chipset on your board in order to find the correct USB drivers.

5. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Marine22, I originally thought that anyone who had installed SP2 were S.O.L. with MPTs working at all. However, I've installed them fine on both my laptop and desktop and both have MPTs. Actually, I had already installed MPT on my laptop and then I upgraded to SP2 and haven't had a problem.

I do recommend that people start with MPT v1.23, then install the 2.16 or 2.23 update. THEN you can Live Update to the latest version, v3.19e I think - it's 3.19 something. Give it a whirl and let us know if that solves your problem.

6. dwjantz

dwjantz Member

As RockDawg says, apparently SP2 has nothing to do with anything of this. This is the 2nd time I have installed into SP2 as well as some friends of mine, all works well. And I have also found out today that the difference between 3.11 and 3.19 is zip with the exception of one thing. 3.19 handles more phone models. So, I am not going to worry about even upgrading to it. Big deal. There are no more features on it thatn 3.11, so don't go the trouble of trying to upgrade to it if you have 3.11. This came directly from BVRP.

7. julieann

julieann Member

[bold]Rockdawg[/bold], thanks for that tip. I'll look into that today. BTW, is the phone supposed to show up in both places in the device mgr.? Under "modem" AND "SB controllers"? (I have win98se). Thanks again.

8. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

AFAIK, the phone only shows up in the Modem list. However, I have WinXP on all my computers but one and it has Win2000 and Linux in a dual boot setup. So I don't have access to Win98se anymore. Maybe someone in here running Win98se and mobile phone tools can confirm this. I could be wrong. Maybe in 98se it does show up in the USB section.

9. mocca121

mocca121 Member

I encountered the initializing problem. and i had unintalled/reinstalled the software/drivers for > 10 times.

Finally it worked. I guess it's related to the way i connected it to the PC.

Belows are my steps.

1. Uninstall everything
    2. Turned off cell phone (mine is v180)
    3. Plugged the cables into the phone and the PC. (I didn't turn the phone on)
    4. Installed version 1.23
    5. I didn't launch the program
    6. Upgraded to version 2.61
    7. Launched the program
    8. When the program tried to detected my phone, i turned it on. (in all my previous attempts, i turned the phone and then connected to the PC.
    9. Installed the drivers as instructed. (since no V180 was on the list, i choose v303)
    10 I followed all others steps and the initializing program had gone.

Maybe someone can verify my guess. I dare not uninstall again.

10. cmacliam

cmacliam Member

Hi. Using XPsp2 MPTv3.9 with USB/Bluetooth dongle. Get as far as bonding with my computer but then 'Comm port installation failed' and goes no further. Device Manager shows Comm ports 4 - 14 given over to Bluetooth. Don't have Bluetooth devices after Batteries but do have Bluetooth under Modems and Network Adapters. Any ideas? No prob connecting under OS X with same Bluetooth dongle.

11. cmacliam

cmacliam Member

Sorry, forgot to mention phone model - v525!

12. cmacliam

cmacliam Member

Also should mention I'm using a laptop. Just saw this (unanswered) on mobileburn:

"Anyone else have any problems with the V525 (and possibly the V500 and V600) connecting to a laptop over bluetooth?
    I've tried various laptops with Win2000 and WinXP installed and although I can pair the V525 with the laptop, if I try to browse the phone to do an object transfer it crashes Explorer or at best gives a vague error. Not just my V525 either, a friends does the same.
    My old T68i connects fine to the laptop fine, as does my friends T680.
    I contacted Motorola support about this and they say 'We've heard about this problem, and recommend you that buy our bluetooth dongle which does not have any issues'
    Sounds a bit suspicious."

13. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

dwjantz, I am not sure how to install the p2k98 drivers. When I downloaded them, and unzipped them I got only cdma1x.inf, p2k.inf, p2k.sys, usbcdcmot.inf, usbmdmmot.inf, but no install or executable programs. Do I have the wrong set of files, should there be a setup program?

14. dwjantz

dwjantz Member

No need to install, there is no .exe program. The .sys is the one that will work. When your setup program for MPT asks for the driver and location, put in the location of the file. For example, C://My Documents/the folder. The program will link into it. You can use the browse option, makes it easier. RockDawg may have another idea, but this works.

15. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Ok, I've uninstalled again. I reinstalled the mpt from cd. I went through the setup, and I manually picked where the p2k98 drivers were. It installed them as "motorola usb modem". Next thing I know...blue screen of death. Stating "fatal error 0028:26E3E641". After pushing the space key, the mpt comes back up, the I get, simultaneously (1) "Telephony cannot successfully start. and (2) the windows add new hardware, which recognizes the v220 as "motorola v220", but when I direct it to where the p2k98 drivers are located, it gives me the "unable to locate driver for device, click next if you do not want to install a driver now. Please help.

16. julieann

julieann Member

[bold]Pushkin[/bold], I am having the same problem. I'll let you know if I make any progress. [bold]rockdawg[/bold] told me something that I'm going to check into.

17. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Thanks Julieann, please keep me posted.

18. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  19. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Thank you for the input rockdawg. However, Iam still having trouble. I got the other version of the p2k98 files. I also have a motorola usb driver with a setup to install, and I've installed it. But when I plug the phone into the miniusb, I get the windows add hardware screen asking me to install "motorola phone(v220)". I have tried once to go through the steps, and get to the end and it gives me "windows unable to locate driver for device", I've also once decided to cancel the installation of the v220 in the add hardware.

I've then managed to get the mpt to go through the configuration and I get:

Modem Identification
    Opening Motorola USB
    Not accessible or modem in use by an other application

after this I get the opurtunity to set inside mpt, and it allows me to choose GSM, and the v220. Then I get :

Device configuration is complete.
    Manufacturer: Motorola GSM
    Model:v220
    Connection to usb modem
    Comport: TAPI Modem

after which I get MPT "is unable to communicate with your phone". And I get the choice to click (ok) or (redirect).

I am trying, but alas to no avail. Any other clues.

20. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

when your phone is plugged in, do you see an entry in Device Manager under Modems that says "Motorola USB Modem" or similar? If so, can you try re-installing the drivers from there?