1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Chip and Dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by smadam813, Mar 27, 2005.

1. smadam813

smadam813 Member

My first question is what is the big difference between softmodding and hardmodding? When you have a chip do you install a dashboard the same way you would with a softmod? And my third question is with a chip when you turn it off does it turn the dashboard off too? I play xbox live so I dont wanna get banned!

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

First it is important to know the definition of softmodding...
    [bold]Softmodding[/bold]- is a technique that will allow you to play backup games without the use of a modchip.

With that being said, a modchip is a small mini like motherboard looking device that requires you to solder wires to your Xbox's mother board.

If you want to learn how to softmod, which I must say is retarded (hope you don't mind me sayin the r word), check out this tutorial, http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/softmodxbox.htm

If you want to order a chip, I would order the Xecutor 3. It is considered to be the best chip for the Xbox and it has the best support (Team Xecutor).

Yes, if you turn off your chip your X3 dashboard shuts off and it goes to the original dashboard. So you will have no problems playing online IF your chip is turned off everytime you want to play.

For more basic info. on Xbox modding, check out this site... http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/

3. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

I have to agree with PimpDawg, Softmod's are crap. They are a Retards way of modding. Well thats my opinion. And I would also have to recomend an Xecuter 3. They are a damn good chip, Easy to install too.

4. smadam813

smadam813 Member

Thanks guys! For the Xecuter 3 when you install a dashboard does it install it to the chip? I thought the bios and dashboard were different things. Ive only known of being able to install dashboards from a harddrive but maybe there is something I dont know can you please explain?

5. scottas

scottas Guest

The chip get flashed with a new bios. This then allows the installation to the hdd of a dashboard, apps and game backups (and lots more too). The X3 comes preflashed with flash bios. It aids in flashing a new bios to it. Dashboards, bios and apps can be found on xbins. You won't need an auto installer like slayers with the X3. It will allow you to just ftp everything over. I'd recommend flash fxp to do the ftp stuff.

6. smadam813

smadam813 Member

Ok so if you install a dashboard you cant go on live because if you turn the modchip off it will still be there? Right?

7. smadam813

smadam813 Member

I would also like to add on what do you think a good bios for the xecuter3 is? Im very new and I am thankful for your help so far!

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

About your dashboard quesion, if you install your dashboard onto your hard drive, you will then have 2 dashboards total on it, your original and X3 dashboard. If you turn off your chip when turning on your Xbox, it will boot up your original dashboard hence allowing you to play online without anybody knowing a modchip is in your system because it is turned OFF.

Now if you turn on your Xbox with the chip on, your X3 dashboard will come up, and if you go online with your X3 chip on, you will get banned.

Just get the newest bios from #xbins, I beleive X3 just came out with the 3029 bios. I have the 2914 bios in my X3, but I am going to upgrade once again the the 3029.

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

smadam813, if you are nervous about installin your chip, I would recommend getting it installed by http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/

A few friends of mine had their chips installed through him and they their box's work great! Check it out if you want

10. smadam813

smadam813 Member

Thanks for all of your help! I think ill manage with the soldering and installation. Ive already taken the xbox apart and it looks fairly simple. Thanks again!