1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modded xbox acting like stock xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by forumuser, Apr 12, 2007.

1. forumuser

forumuser Member

I bought a modded xbox a year or so ago. For a while now I've had to restart it a few times to make the modded desktop come up. Now, it's as if it's purely a stock xbox. Any ideas on how I can fix it?

2. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

is it hard modded or softmodded? if its softmodded just uninstall it then install it again..

3. forumuser

forumuser Member

I'm not sure. Would I have to open it up to tell? What would I be looking for? Also, what is it I should uninstall if it's soft modded? I've downloaded the DVD that loads EVOX, etc, but it's not even recognized.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

so your xbox will not even play a burned disc anymore?
    That may cause a problem but you should still at least be able to re-softmod it.

download SID 4.5 and it will have everything you need except the game (splinter Cell, Mech Assult, or 007 Agent Under Fire) which must be the original and not the platinum hits version. And you also need AR Max for Xbox (both the game and AR Max can be bought at most stores that sell games.)

SID 4.5 will have a PDF file with pretty nice instructions. As far as telling if it is a chip or softmod, do you get any message or words on your screen that you can remember when you started it before it went wachy. Like X-ecuter rox my box or anything like that?
    Slayer 2.7 could help you if you find out you have a chip, but do not try using it if you have a softmod because one wrong move and your toast.

only other way i know is by doing a hotswap, which you use your PC for, and rebuild the drive back to retail and start over.

5. forumuser

forumuser Member

First, thanks a ton for the info. The machine never gave any warnings. Sometimes it would boot up to the regular XBOX screen and when I reset it, it would boot up as if it was brand new (enter the date/time) and then sometimes it would boot up with the mod. Could there be a mod chip loose?

Right now, it works like a regular XBOX. I put in slayer but it didn't recognize it. I don't have a burned disc to test with, but when I use a regular disc, the xbox works fine although after a while I get a green screen telling me that the disc is not readable.

Is there any way for me to find out if this was truly a soft mod or a hardware mod? I can't see how a soft mod would cause something like this. Could it just be a hard mod that has come loose or something?

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

okay it sounds like a softmod...because when you unplug your xbox sometimes it goes to the time and date screen if you just skip that sometimes it goes back to retail so try unplugging everything in both ends of the chords and then try to get the time and date reset thing to display and put the CORRECT DATE AND TIME then start and it will go to original dash then turn it off WITHOUT unplugging cords and turn it back on it should go to the modded dash...it happens to me all the time.

7. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

and also you can tell they opened the xbox if you look at the 2 lables on the bottom of the xbox and you can tell they poked a hole through it.

8. forumuser

forumuser Member

Thanks a bunch. I was worried that a modding newb like me would get shit for asking stupid questions but you guys have been great. I'll have a look at it tonight.

9. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

This sounds like a clock loop from an older soft mod. Long ago in the dark ages of soft mods if you left your box unplugged for a while it would search for the original dash when plugged in and give you the clock check. You my friend have a softmodded box in a clock loop.

10. forumuser

forumuser Member

Interesting. I did check the screws and it was opened. That being said, it does have a non-stock hard drive, so it would have had to have been. Do I need to redo the soft mod then?

11. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ha ha ha ha! Sorry, i have no contribution to this thread at all, i just thought id tell you that that made me laugh. :D

12. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

i said that because installers today won't cause this loop.

13. billybob

billybob Regular member

I wasnt criticising, i was saying it was funny how you referred to it as the "Dark ages of modding" or whatever you said.

*thumbs up*

14. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

thats funny because I was able to mod my xbox with a platinum hits version of splinter cell.

15. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

um yeah i would try reinstalling the softmod with a different softmod..

thats good that you have a non stock hard drive that means you can backup your games to it :)

16. forumuser

forumuser Member

Well my plan is to centralize my media on a NAS. I have a server built with 3ware SATA RAID that does OCE. It's 1TB right now and I'll just add a 500GB drive when I need to expand.

I'm going to pay someone to mod it. It will cost no more or less and the amount of free time I have nowadays is limited. One person I talked to said that he would use CASH v1.1 auto installer. Is that good? Anything special I should ask for??

17. steimy

steimy Active member

mikeh0303, pretty much any good guide will tell you that it has to be the original and not the platinum hits. But it would work the same as long as you could actually find a Linux platinum hits gamesave to softmod with. Which of course most softmodding programs do not come with.

as far as an auto installer, i would go with Slayer 2.7 myself.

18. forumuser

forumuser Member

The guy I'm paying to do it said he'd use autoinstaller. Is there a big difference? It seemed like he could only use 2.7 if he did a hard mod. A soft mod is fine for me as I don't care about xbox live and I don't want to lose any reliability by breaking a circuit.

19. steimy

steimy Active member

people who have a chip usually use Slayer 2.7, people with a softmod usually use AID 3.1
    They are both auto installers and serve the same purpose, they install programs on your xbox so you do not have to download and install each one yourself, one by one.

20. forumuser

forumuser Member

Cool. I'm going to meet the guy this week. The only other odd thing is that the sound has sort of gone on the xbox. I'm not sure if these two are related or not.