1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modded Xbox Bootup Problem!!! Im a noob :)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by mecp_alex, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

Hi. I traded for this modded xbox from a friend of mine. It is a hard mod, and worked just fine. Then one day, i came home from work and my daughter had ripped off the dipswitch chip off the front. And it has not worked since. It boots up with the xbox screen, with the xecutor 2 logo on it. Then, it boots up and has the error screen, and I get an error 05 code. I have googled what that means, and from what I get that is not a propper locked hdd. So, I opened it up and a few of the cables can unsoldered from the board. So, I re soldered them on it. (I have some descent experience in soldering in my profession.) And, I get the same error code. So, did a little more research, and I found a program that may be able to redo the bios. Well, anyway, I dont really know what Im doing with the soft mod side of it. I was wondering if evox is the correct program to do this with, and if it is somewhat simple to use. Like preferably not command line driven, lol. Also, any missed steps or input would be helpful.

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Before you go trying to flash the bios let me explain how that switch works. More than likely that was a switch to change the bios banks or turn the mod chip off. It sounds to me like the chip is set to boot the ms bios (stock bios) that requires the hard drive to be locked. This is why you're getting an error code, mod chip bios doesn't need the hard drive to be locked so you simply have to enable the mod chip and/or modchip bios.

Can you take a picture of the mod chip or try to describe it for me?

You probably just need to reconnect a switch and flip it to the right position to enable the chip. If you can find out what type of chip you have i'm sure you can get the xbox working again.

3. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

Well, I will take it to work, and open it up again, and take a pic of the mod chip for you, but as for the dip switches...i have tried every conceiveable combination of switch settings. as there are only 4 of them. plus, when it worked before, the #1 switch was off, and the others were on. So, I will post a pic on here as soon as I get it today. I appreciate your help, and I hope my daughter didnt make this sweet xbox into a sweet looking paperweight.

4. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

ok. here is a link to a few pics of the mod chip, and the dipswitch chip that it comes with. please, let me know what you think might help me out.
    thanks

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

[​IMG]

wow i've been looking for about 30 mins to find that chip and no luck. See if you can find a name on it somewhere. I've never seen a modchip with a ide connection. That thing must be old and had to be expensive.

6. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

I tried to get the adhesive stuff off the back of it, but i didnt want to break the board in the process. when it would boot up, it would say xecutor 2 under the xbox logo. so, i dunno...

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Well i made progress at least.

[​IMG]

So your chip is a xecuter 2.2 pro

Here's something that should help you figure out how to set the front dip switches.

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-136.html

Here's installation instructions make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips/x-ecuter2_wire_diagrams.html

I think you have to choose the correct size bios for it to boot correctly. I'm sure you don't need to flash the chip, you just need to find the right settings to make it work.

I keep finding parts that say to make sure switch 4 is on. This is only when flashing. Switch 4 is the flash protect swtich So just try different compinations but do not flip up switch 4.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  8. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

Fantastic! I appreciate all the help, and I will try these different methods of flashing. Those are great links, and give me a great place to start. The only problem I ran into so far, is that someone has taken off the s/n from the bottom of the xbox, but its not a biggie. I guess I cant break the xbox TOO much more, lol. I will update you with my progress in the situation. Thank you again my friend for all the help. :)

9. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

Alright. I have tried the ways that you sent me, and I have searched and searched online, and tried quite a few of their ways aswell. I have made bios cds, iso cds, and soforth. Do you have any other ideas as to why my xbox gives me that error message? The dipswitch chip on the front has a blue led on it. when it worked, the led would come on and stay solid when playing, now, the led comes on and immediately turns back off, no matter what the dipswitch settings are at. Im tempted to just sell it for parts online, but i really luved that modded xbox. Please, any and all ideas are helpful :)

10. CopperKid

CopperKid Regular member

What version xbox do you have?

11. mecp_alex

mecp_alex Member

It is a version 1.3, i believe. the s/n was taken of it, lol. but, i went thru the process 2 figure out the version.

12. CopperKid

CopperKid Regular member

Just a quick thought on this but,
    If you have an AID Auto Installer Disk and can put it in and get it to boot up past the error code then I think there is a tool set in the menu options that may allow you to go and lock your hdd.
    This is just off the top of my head and I may be incorrect or it might not even boot it up but I would give it a try.

Other than that I can only think that it's the dipswitch repair. Like C4RN1 says it seems like it's booting the xbox retail bios instead of one of the banks that has a flashed bios capable of booting past the 05 error into the hacked dashboard.

I'm also assuming that the other connections are solid? All the wires going to the lpc's and the d0 wire isn't disconnected right? I can only assume this since you get the xecuter flubber screen.

Check your repair on the dip switches and keep trying to boot up the different bios banks as they show in their tuts. and let us know what you come up with.
    Good luck.

13. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

alex... where did you go?

I asked copper to help since he's had more experience with mod chips.

I think that if you unplug that whole switchboard it might boot bank 1. I doubt it would go into flash mode or mess anything up. Anyway it's worth a try. Just unplug that switchboard going to the chip and power on the xbox. It might boot bank 1 and you'll see your modified dash.

I have looked all over to try to find that same switchboard and still no results. I think that if you can't get this chipped xbox working you can either softmod it or buy a new modchip.

Both ways would require soldering so it's really up to your prefrence.

Anyway answer our questions and get back to us.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

Functionally the switch block looks to be the same as the xecuter3

IIRC the x2 pro was set to boot bank2 with no switches connected.. but it does depend if that bank has been flashed with anything, so ground the D0 point to the nearby board screw (force chip enabled effectively) and try booting again and report what happens.