1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noob - Hard Mod vs Soft mod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Evander1, Apr 2, 2006.

1. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@VCFire
    you like it, huh.

Some guys in here has problem with softmod. They use xboxhdm1.9. They got all files for C, E and eeprom folder. They have a right eeprom for the xbox. After they successed install and lock hdd on PC. Then put the hdd back to xbox and have error 06. They have tried a lot of different tutor. And end up with same error. I dont know why.
    Can you answer it? Which steps do they miss out?

2. VCFire

VCFire Guest

I'm not totally sure, maybe they have a hard drive that is not lockable, or they are not don't have the correct HDD key to unlock it. If they have all the backup files, I'd say wipe the drive and try again, or try a different HD, I use Maxtor and Western Digital and haven't had any issues. Sorry if I'm not much help on this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2006
  3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

ok. yes, I tell them to try on Maxtor or WD.

They actually build a brand new unlock hdd. The problem is xbox can't unlock it.

4. VCFire

VCFire Guest

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

ok thank

6. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I need a little clarification.

When initially softmodding, do I used SID, or do I use AID instead of SID?

I am getting more and more confused as I read the AID tutorial. It mentions formatting drives and installing softmods.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

8. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I have that site marked and ready. It says to used SID...... nevermind, you didn't understand my question.

9. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Okay, I have everything I need, but have already run into problems.

When I open Action Replay and attempt to drop SID Launcher and the gamesave files to the memory card, I hit a wall.

I cannot drag files to the memory card. I can put them into the "PC Database" column, but not the "Memory Card" column. What might my problem be? Bad memory card, bad AR connector? or am I doing something wrong?

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

11. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Firgured it out. The person who sold it to me did not include the install disk. Windows selected the wrong drivers, but it is working now.

SUCCESS!!! My Xbox is Softmodded. However I have another question. I am upgrading the hard drive using xboxhdm. Must I burn the image to a CD-RW or can I use a DVD instead?

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

first backup your eeprom first. Then backup the whole E drive to E
    folder on pc and the whole C drive to C folder on PC.

13. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I have the folders backed up already and I created the image. My question was whether if I could burn it to a DVD, or if I had to use a CD-RW.

14. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

15. VCFire

VCFire Guest

In case this helps, I burned the C and E folder and eeprom onto a cdr, then i put the eeprom onto a floppy, and the linux program to run xboxhdm onto a separate cdr. have hard drive plugged into pc, with cable select option, run linux, pick 1, select build hd from scratch, have floppy in drive, install C and E folders, lock hd. xboxhdm is pretty much step by step. if you need more detail let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2006
  16. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Perhaps I am not asking the question in an understandable way. I have already backed up C E and eeprom. I have already used xboxhdm to create an image file. Everything I read says "Do not use a CDR to burn the image, use a CD-RW."

My only question is, can I use a DVD to burn the image? I have not made it to the point where I need to uplug my hard drive yet.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  17. jakemcgoo

jakemcgoo Guest

hey the return: how good is my executer2 chip?

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@jakemcgoo
    The x2 chip is old. Dont have much thing to do with it. It just boots bios and that is it. It does not have ftp and config Live.

But it works for xbox. That is good.

19. Evander1

Evander1 Member

okay, here we go again. I successfully updated my new drive using xboxhdm. It went through all of the steps without a hitch and successfully locked the drive.

I placed the new drive into the xbox, and it will not boot to Evox. It goes only to the screen that allows me to access my memory card and settings, ect.

any suggestions?

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

you means msdash?