1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noob - Hard Mod vs Soft mod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Evander1, Apr 2, 2006.

1. MEGADEATH

MEGADEATH Member

Hi Evander,

I am trying to do the same. PLease can you explain the steps you took using xboxhdm?

I have backup all the c: and e: copied the eeprom to the right places as per the tut.

I have tried to burn the ISO image that the xboxhdm creates and succeded but it wont boot. I have burnt the data to a DVD. is this what you used?

Any help would be useful

MD

2. Evander1

Evander1 Member

yes MS Dash, I was at a loss for words. It's really strange, as if the Softmod was removed. The X-box is fuctioning as if I just bought it.

Here is what I did.

1) Softmodded stock HD using SID 4.5
    2) FTP C, E, and EEPROM to my PC
    3) Created an image of my and imported my folders using XBOXHDM
    4) formated my new hard drive using the image and disk created by XBOXHDM
    5) replaced stock HD witht he new hard drive
    6) xbox now runs as if it were never softmodded to begin with.

Should I simply re-softmod using this new hard drive?

3. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Megadeath,

Did you check your bios and ensure that your system boots from a CD/DVD before checking your hard drive (HDD-0) for a boot record.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I won't pretend that I understand, but I simply re-softmodded with the new drive in and it works fine.

I was under the assumption that when C, E, and eeprom were copied over to xboxhdm that my "new hard drive" would be formatted with the softmod already applied. Apparently this is not the case.

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@Evander1
    the big hdd should load softmod just like the small hdd does. Because the C and E drive are exactly the same.

hmm... It is hard to say because you have linux files already in xbox. But you can try to softmod it.

6. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Nonetheless, it worked just fine. There was just an extra step that I didn't expect and that nonw of the tutorials explained.

Now to have fun. When adding apps and games to the new hard drive, does it matter which drive I put the on? Should they be in any certain subdirectories?

I am using AID to install a few emulators and possible a couple of alternate dashes, just wanted to check where the files should be placed.

Any tutorials on this? or is it way easier then I am making it out to be?

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

i'm glad if you can help MEGADEATH.

8. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Thanks for all the help guys.... looks like I have done it. It was WAY easier then I expected. I see so many people having problems, that it made me nervous.

If anyone needs a hand, I'm always glad to help.

9. MEGADEATH

MEGADEATH Member

Evander1,

Yeah the PC has options to boot from CD rom / DVD drives. I have booted from DVD's (FEDORA CORE 4) before so I know it works.

If I disconnect all the drives except the CD (IDE 2 master) and the new HDD (IDE 1 master) it will get to the part where the PC says "boot from CD rom" then it starts to wind up the disk and comes up with

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Cheers

MD

10. MEGADEATH

MEGADEATH Member

I could try and boot if from CD-rom but the xbox backup is like 2 gigs in size !!!

MD

11. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I did not experience that problem. Try burning to a CDR-W. I have read many tutorials which say to use that kind of media. Although a DVD worked fine for me.

I have my "New X-Box HDD" set on "Master" (IDE-0) and my DVD rom set as "Slave" (IDE-1). In BIOS, the boot order is CDROM then HDD-0.

It worked just fine for me.

12. MEGADEATH

MEGADEATH Member

The only other thing is the way I am burning the DVD ISO image.

i did it using Nero V6 (Image burning wizard)

MD

13. Evander1

Evander1 Member

Use DVD Decrypter instead of NERO and try it again. If you have AID 3.0 it is located in the PC Tools folder.

Can anyone PM me with where I can find ROMS.

14. VCFire

VCFire Guest

Evander, you can find roms easily using torrent programs, but I have a question, I tried using the SID and the AID disc, and they load up, but they don't make anything different, none of the installs change my Evox to anything else, like XBMC, let me know if you figure that out. I do have XBMC, but I have to load if after my Evox dash loads up. I also have the Ultimate Xbox Boot Disc, which has some really sweet apps and addons. Might want to check it out.

TheReturn, is the Xecuter 3 or Xenium Gold chip better? Do you have any experience using either or both? Thanks.

15. Evander1

Evander1 Member

VCFIRE,

I have not researched how to change my default dash yet. Currently, just like you, I load straight into EvoX. I used AID to add every app, emulator, and dash available. I must select an alternate dash AFTER I load into EvoX just like you.

I am learning a lot fast, if I come across info on how to make a different Dash load by default, I will certainly pass it on.

You might want to check this utility out....
    http://www.xbox-hacks.net/download/...ashboard Switcher/Dashboard_Switcher_V0.2.rar

16. jakemcgoo

jakemcgoo Guest

im going to switch the hard drive to a 40 or 50GB if i also change the rom for a dvd rr and put my software into the hard drive aswell as the stuff that was on it before ,will my xbox recognise the software and re write dvds?

17. VCFire

VCFire Guest

ok, thanks, i'll check it out.

18. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I am an idiot.... It turns out that the SID4.5 installs the Evox in 3 places. On C, on E, and again on F. This is incase something happens to one of them I guess. The entire time, I thought it was booting to the one on "C", so this is where I placed my "Skins" folder. It turns out that it was booting to the one on "E." Moved the "skin" folder to "E" and it works just fine.

19. Evander1

Evander1 Member

I don't think it is that easy jake. I think it is easier to FTP the game files from your xbox to your PC, then create an ISO from there.

20. MEGADEATH

MEGADEATH Member

evander,

Any ideas on this DVD / linux ISO image thing?

I just cannot seem to make it boot.

MD