1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modding the look

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by THEDICE, May 25, 2004.

1. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

is anybody into modding the look of there puter or are you all just overclockers,for me it has to perform well and look good as well.no offence ment to oc ers but ive not seen much mention of custom paint jobs cool looks ext.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    In the same spirit, no offence to those who have some seriously tricked out cases and such but too often I see kids who have their gangsta-trippy towers which either (a) their parents bought for them and/or (b) have the crappiest components ever. I can understand those who mod up their case just for aesthetics and such and that's cool but you know the type of punk-ass-losers I'm talking about: they (think) that their system is so badass because its got a couple lights or a fancy paintjob but it's not even their machine or the parts are secondrate -- and they dont know it.

Now that Ive ranted ....... I've got me a Amamax Prisim tower loaded out with just 5.25" bays:
    [​IMG]
    - Got a bunch of drives in there, all of them screwed to the one side of the case and 80mm Tornados keeping them cool (gonna wait for some cash before I spend it on 3 or 4 HDD coolers)
    - All the IDE cables are folded and pressed by hand a la Voodoo
    - A Vantec fan controller and Matrix Orbital light up the front end Thunderblade fans light up the inside and back. Tornados provide the exhause capacity
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - A lit 92mm Tornado provide topside exhaust
    - A standard blue cold cathod provides nightlight and is mounted on the top of the case
    - No windows in this baby -- my tower is designed to be fast -- not look fast like them punkass-gangsta-loser towers (can you tell I dont like them?)
    - A pair of Vantec Stealth 80mm fans are mounted in the CRT (Viewsonic 17PS2) and a pair of red mini cold cathods are as well
    - A fan taken off the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ mounted with duct tape no less on the side of the CRT, pointed at me to keep me kewl :)

Future Plans:
    - Integrate the CRT fans with the fan controller (and add another FC to faciliate flexibility) or impregnate pushbuttons into the monitor to control those fans
    [​IMG]
    - Add red ultra bright diodes to the underside of the CRT to provide area coverage lighting - red because red doesnt ruin your night vision -- the blue gives intensity and allows you to walk do stuff that requires precise lighting (i.e., wiring essays, doing homework etc) the read allows you to play video games without compromising your nightvision and contrast capacity
    - Replace the side door of my case with a hydraulic one

I would put pics up but running a 0.3MP camera doesnt allow for a lot of detail (at night the picture looks like a blob of blue coming out of nowhere) ... anyone want to send me a free digital cam? :p
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  3. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

to preator i have gained much respect for you after seeing your trick ass rig its lookin good.im controlling 4 of my thermal take fans with a reo bus 4 which replaced my floppy drive.but ive got an aerogate 2 hd cooler fan controller as well for my other fans not connected them up to it yet but it looks good and does a reasonable job of hd cooling.also got a w-force super panel which gives me total speed control of my cpu fan i dont know how i managed without it .

4. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

and just added some phat plasma neons for the hell of it did some custom engraving on the window kit i had and cut a nice big hole in the top of my case for some nice fans wich keep my dvd burner cool while burning and my dvd rom cool while playin games.lookin at the cm stacker case now as ive outgrown the case ive got.

5. Praetor

Thx I put a lot of energy into my tower :D The only problem with it is that it's steel and while that gives it the strength to let me cut half a dozen holes into it, its not so great on the weight (which isnt such a big deal) or the antiscratch coating (which is a big deal).

6. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

probably the best thing to do is scratch the hell out of it and then get a custom paint job, lol.

7. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

im also thinking of mounting a fan aimed at my crotch as nad cooling has been overlooked hot nads are no good for long gaming sessions in summer,lol.it would of course be a red led fan/nad cooler.

8. Praetor

LOL now there's an idea :p get a chair like this and impreg the fans into it and you'll be set :p
    [​IMG]

9. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

just how freaky is that chair

10. Praetor

Depends on how loud you pump up the volume :p