1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modding w/o any soldering involved

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by xRichManx, Nov 15, 2004.

1. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

Pretty soon i'm going to get an Xbox. I want to know the best way to mod it so that I can backup my games(dvd2xbox) in it without any soldering involved.

As soon as I buy an Xbox, I plan on putting in a bigger hd.

I've heard about softmods like the MachAssault exploit and some with other games. Are those really reliable?

How about Hot Swaping (connecting the Xbox hd to my computer and loading the programs that way)?

I guess I'd solder if I have to, but that would be my last option.

Tell me what I should do, what's my best choice? One of my friends (who owns an Xbox) has advised me that I should buy an old Xbox (he said I can tell it's old if the cd tray has a U shaped hole area). WHat do you think about that?

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Is there a cd that I can download that I can just put in the Xbox and it'll install all of this for me?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  2. AirViper

AirViper Member

Hey you should check out this site if you haven't already.. www.xbox-scene.com its great. it has all the info you will ever need. I have the X.b.i.t modchip and it works flawlessly. it is solderless and i have had no problems what so ever. goodluck to you.

3. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

If your just recently purchasing an xbox, it will probably be a version 1.6, and there are currently no solderless options available for the latest version. But you can soft mod them like you mentioned, and like airviper said xbox-scene is a great place for tuts, and anything else you will need.
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/
    And the answer to your last question, no, there is no CD you can just put in to mod it for you - without a modchip already installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2004
  4. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

alright, thanx alot guys.

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I would say buy a used xbox, find out what version it is from xbox scene and choose a solderless chip such as the xbit. This way you get a xbox cheaper so it doesnt matter as much if you mess it up and it wont be a v1.6(no solderless chips available).

If you need answers during installing your chosen chip then be sure to ask back here and we will do our best to help you out.

6. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

Just found out there is a company that is offering a solderless solution for ver. 1.6. Heres a link, I haven't read anything about the quality of these chips though.
    http://www.spiderchip.com/home.html

7. flynn53

flynn53 Member

if IT IS CHEPPER IT MIGHT BE WORTH BUYING A SOLDERED CHIP, AND PAYING SOMEONE TO SOLDER IT , SOLDERING ISN'T THAT HARD MY 13 Y SON CAN DO IT, BUT I YOU GO THAT WAY FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN DO IT AN ELECTRICION WELL BE ABLE TO DO IT, BU ID'E STICK WITH YOUR WAY