1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model ships

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by harvardguy, Aug 9, 2016.

1. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Hey what's up, ddp. Still working simultaneously on those 357 ship models, which will be done sometime around 2100 AD.

Yeah deadpool, ddp of course was giving absolute minimum as a starting point, but John is very right, you always want to leave a lot of headroom - and since you're considering moving over to SLI if one card doesn't quite cut it, maybe even 850 like I have could be a consideration.

Do you have a picture of your monitor setup? What games are you planning to run?

Rich

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yep, still working on them. currently 2x 1/260 scale modern Chinese destroyers & 1x 1/260 scale modern Chinese frigate.

3. harvardguy

Awesome ddp - is one of them at least partially done so we can see some kind of photo? So these are pretty big models, right - like a foot long, maybe 2 feet?

4. ddp

5. harvardguy

Wow, great! I'm going to take some time and go through all the pictures. Are any of them yours? (Are you David Perry?)

Rich

6. ddp

the models in those links are mine & yes.

7. harvardguy

Awesome - thanks David - I will go through all of them, and FINALLY some pics!!! :p

(after asking for years - no I'm not exaggerating - I've been asking for at least 3 years, lol.)

Rich

8. harvardguy

You mean, "poor little - EXTREMELY PATIENT - boy."

Hey DDP,

Okay, I'm on the first model, the Squier. Before I go on to the next models, I have a few questions.

Now on that first link, you mentioned that you converted from the hospital ship Haven, and I see the box in the image below.

But did you fully build out the Haven, and then did you pick up an extra kit, because you show them both together. So I assume you picked up two kits, which gave you the hull you wanted for the Squier.

[​IMG]

Here's another shot below of both of them together.

So did you make all those different superstructure parts by hand? What kind of wood do you use - and what kinds of tools to do the cutting? What glue works best for you?

I will never do this hobby - way too much effort for me - but I am kind of curious as to your working methods.

[​IMG]

And finally here is the overview of the Squier. It looks like you picked up some detailed plans - where would you get something like that? - and then you painstakingly overlaid those drawings onto your model.

[​IMG]

David, this is really awesome and I can see where it could be very rewarding.

This level of work and detail looks like about one boat per year. Am I right? Will they all fit in the living room when you are finished?

Rich

9. ddp

that haven is not finished as bought off ebay like that & will be getting all new decks & superstructure as it is a bit too wide by a few millimeters. I have 5 of those models, 1 to be built as during ww2, 2nd to be built around the time of the Korean war when a raised heli-pad was installed on the stern., 3rd being modified as a destroyer tender, 4th as the Squire troop transport & the 5th as a spare for a later conversion.

everything from the deck & above is scratchbuilt using 1mm thick styrene plastic sheet using testors model glue. I use a #11 exacto blade & chisel blade plus the Chopper 2 for cutting plastic into repetitive lengths.

the drawings i got off the net. they get done when I get them done. the USS Pennsylvania battleship is about 8yrs old & still not finished as got to build a milling machine using a dremel or a drill the make 1mm wide slots for the brass gun barrels for the 5" gun turrets. also have to buy 11 sets of quad bofors 40mm aa guns & 32 single 20mm aa guns in 1/429 scale for that model. already got the guns for the squire.

the models are on shelves in my bedroom & i'll have over 400 models not including my 1/144 scale model ship that can be radio controlled.

10. harvardguy

There is no way that you can fit 400 models on shelves in your bedroom!! That is physically impossible. Care to post a cell phone pic of part of your bedroom? :)

Jeeez - you're going to mill out brass gun barrels - and you are going to pick up dozens of AA guns - you say you already have the guns for the Squier. I'm about to go through the rest of the links, but that would be an interesting photo - what those guns look like in miniature.

Anyway, let me ask you. Can I assume that at least one ship model has been completed - perhaps the 1/144th one that can be radio controlled. Again, the links may have a finished picture but I doubt it.

If not could you shoot a picture of what a final finished model looks like?

Rich

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  11. harvardguy

(Sorry for the double but I find that shockwave keeps crashing reducing my typing speed to a crawl.)

PENNSYLVANIA BATTLESHIP

Wow this one had a great history since being built before World War 1, to being deliberately sunk just after World War II having suffered major damage by a Japanese torpedo while at anchor near Okinawa I believe. I think I read that it fired off more ammunition during one campaign than any ship in history – it earned the nickname “Old Falling Apart” because the tremendous amount of metal shooting out made it appear that the ship was falling apart.

It played a heavy role in the Pacific in defeating the enemy island by island until we finally reached Okinawa.

[​IMG]

So this is the one you’ve been working on for 8 years.

I also read that anchored off-shore at one island, it fired 12 rounds and destroyed a group of tanks that had been sighted by a landing party.

Here we finally see some of the monstrous guns!

[​IMG]

And as your pictures zoom in, we get a better look at the control and radar towers plus a close-up of the guns.

[​IMG]

And here is a closeup of the aft guns

[​IMG]

And finally a closeup of the control towers.

[​IMG]

I would love to take a tour of a battleship - during my scouting days we did get to see a ship or two. I wonder if the naval yard in San Diego gives tours?

So are you going to replace the guns with brass?

David, why the keen interest in navy vessels - did you have some sailors in the family?

Were you yourself a sailor?

Rich

12. ddp

don't have a cell phone. have 3 walls of shelves, 2 of which are loaded with books, 1 wall has the model shelves. about 150 models are on the shelves including the 1/144 models & the majority of the others are still in their boxes with 30 plus being worked on 1 time or another.
    I'm not milling brass barrels but will be milling the slots in the gun turrets for the brass barrels to sit in.

13. harvardguy

David, our posts showed up at the very exact moment - so please go one post back :)

14. ddp

I know they did as I saw it after posting. the white plastic turrets are the twin 5"38 cal mounts that have to have slots cut into them for the brass barrels I already have. ancestors on my step-father's side of the family who were commodores in the us navy in the 1800's. my mild CP prevents me from joining the navy except maybe as a civilian consultant which I never was.

15. harvardguy

They were U.S. Commodores in the 1800s. Hmmmm. We were pretty much running all over the world like the British by then, helping to open up the Orient, etc. Where did they see action, if any? War with Spain?

16. ddp

Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who defeated the British on the great lakes in the war of 1812 & Commodore Matthew Perry who opened up Japan to the world in 1854.

17. harvardguy

Yeah, opened up Japan.

That DOES sound familiar.

Commodore Perry

Of course, who hasn't heard of him? He has to be the most famous of all Commodores. I hadn't been aware too much of the battles on the Great Lakes during the War of 1812, but everybody knows who opened up Japan.

You probably have some great stories that you won't ever share with us. :p

So ddp, have you personally ever done any sailing, or motor-boating. Isn't it a law that everybody in Canada has to spend some time motor-boating?

For about a decade I was a member of the sailing club on the coast here, where a small monthly fee allowed me to sign up to pay a sizable rental for a day on any boat that was available, once I passed the basic sailing course. I used to take out the 30 footers, sometimes 35 feet, double masts - beautiful teak boats. But sometimes we would just motor around Newport Bay - with the small diesel engine you could do about 5 knots which is about as fast as they liked you to go in the harbor, although when the wind and you were under sails, you could lean the boat way over and get up to about 8 knots. It's a reasonably large bay with very smooth water. But sometimes we ventured out, if it wasn't too choppy, even sailing down about 10 miles to Laguna Beach.

Some members rented for a weekend sail over to Catalina Island. I never did that, even after taking a course on how to use landmarks and charts to set a compass heading to the island and back. To this day I have never set foot on Catalina - but one day I'll take the ferry.

What about your radio-controlled boat - is there a place nearby where you can join other enthusiasts? It's not a sailboat, so what kind of engine do you have in it - electric?

Rich

18. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, Commodore Perry certainly mastered the British - you might say that when it came to men-o-war, he was a renowned Master Boater