1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modem disconnect - Speedtouch 546

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CompNo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CompNo

CompNo Member

Hello!

I am having a problem with a modem, apparently, that has worked well for around 3 years. The present problem is that it disconnects me at around 11 pm every night and remains disconnected with the power light flashing red to green to red (with the ethernet flashing green at the same time). It will not reconnect by itself, but will when I push the on/off button---only to disconnect again repeatedly at different intervals.

This happens every night, but only at or around the 11 pm mark. It's fine during the day.

What could possibly be the problem? My ISP says there was been no service disruption at this time.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

know any friends who uses the same modem to switch with to see if still a problem or not? when did this start to happen because you might be able to do a system restore to before this problem started if windows related?

3. CompNo

CompNo Member

It started happening about a week ago, and unfortunately there aren't any restore points (Vista). I know no one with the same modem, either. I did add a router about a month ago, but even when I detach the router and plug directly into the modem, the problem remains.

4. ddp

do you have any other computers or access to them to see if does same thing? just trying to eliminate the possibilities on whether a modem issue or a windows settings. should still have restore points even with vista unless it was turned off.

5. attar

attar Senior member

Change the system time to 10:59 pm a few times and see if it does it.

6. CompNo

CompNo Member

I do. I will wait and see how it acts tonight and report.

7. CompNo

CompNo Member

It doesn't happen at precisely 11 p.m., just around that time. I did what you requested anyway and the internet is still up and running.

8. CompNo

CompNo Member

Ok, I turned my computer off, reset the modem and kept another computer on which is also attached to the modem with a cable. The same thing occurred. Modem down with power light flashing from red to green and back and ethernet light flashing. Turning the modem off and on again reconnects me, but, like I said, it continues to happen sporadically.

9. ddp

if no router between modem & computer(s) then the modem is the culprit or your internet provider is. try resetting the modem using the reset button on back side of modem. see if that resolves the problem tho doubt it. if still happens get modem replaced but tell them what you did to localize the problem to modem. if after new modem connected but still having a problem then it is your internet provider that is causing the problem but do 1 step at a time to make certain.

10. CompNo

CompNo Member

I'll have to do this. I did reset the modem a few nights ago and the problem remained, so perhaps I'll have to try another modem. Is it likely the modem, though, since it only starts happening around a specific time? In any event, thanks for the ideas!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. ddp

is either the modem or your internet provider not your computers when both computers do it. no problem.

12. CompNo

CompNo Member

I left the modem off until around 10:00 and, perhaps because it was cooler than usual, it did not disconnect until later than usual. I am supposing this means that it is the modem that is troublesome. Thanks again for your ideas.

13. ddp

because it is hot or cool out does not cause a modem to disconnect at about the same time every night so is not a temperature issue. there is something else going on tho being both computers do it when connected singly but not thru a router.

14. CompNo

CompNo Member

Since the ISP says there are no issues (especially since the power light is blinking, which the ISP should never cause, right?) I am at a loss. Thanks for your ideas, nonetheless.

15. ddp

check the modem manual as most if not all modems, routers & combos have a steady on power light not blinking unless 1st turned on which is then doing diagnostics.