1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modem into PC and laptop?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by friend101, Sep 12, 2007.

1. friend101

friend101 Member

hi

I have optus broadband which is connect to my PC. A have a laptop, and at the moment i am using a router. Since the modem is in my room, i am wanting to connect the modem directly to my laptop as well as the PC. Is it just a case of buying a modem splitter and connecting another phone cable in to the laptop?

thanks in advance.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no such thing as modem splitter. use a router or a hub between the modem & computers, preferably a router.

3. friend101

friend101 Member

thanks ddp

I currently am using a router but it keeps cutting out, so thats why i wanted to use the broadband modem directly for both pc and laptop. I just thought i could put like a double adapter in to the back of the modem and connect it directly to the pc and laptop.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if the modem's connected via a network cable, you can use a Switch to send the data to both computers, but if it's attached via say USB, you'll have to use a router. If you're getting issues because it's wireless, buy a high gain antenna. If the router is crashing often, buy a better router like a WRT54GL (the L at the end is important)

5. friend101

friend101 Member

ok thanks very much sammorris, might look into buying a new router. ive got a 3com 3CRWDR100A-72 at the moment, dont know if its anygood or not, but it might be the problem.

thanks again

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From this review it seems pretty good:

7. friend101

friend101 Member

yeh sounds good, not sure what the problem is then. It just disconnects at random times, i have to unplug the back of it and reset it. it can disconnect in 5 minutes or 10 hours. And it always disconnects when i use a bit torrent client.

thanks mate

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, that is a fault with the router and is due to the connection limit of it. It's worth pointing out that you should never torrent heavily using a wireless connection. Only ever run one torrent at a time, or you risk bringing that about. Buy a higher end router, something like a WRT54GL and you should be ok.

9. friend101

friend101 Member

ok i might get the WRT54GL then. with the WRT54GL will i be able to use the bit torrent client and will it stop the disconnections?

Thanks very much for all your help.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't guarantee it, it depends on your house, but what I will say is that we share an internet connection wirelessly to a laptop in our house, and the person connected wirelessly can use bit-torrent without getting connection drops.

11. friend101

friend101 Member

ok cool, thanks again it much appreciated.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem, any other queries just ask.