1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modifying aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by carlmart, Aug 8, 2006.

1. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

I have a film which I downloaded that seems to have originally been 4:3 ratio and seems to have now 16:9 ratio.

So the images look squeezed between up and down, not between left and right as it should be if it was anamorphized.

What aspect ratio should I use to get things back to normal?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

If you could post a screenshot of what you're talking about, a picture IS worth a thousand words ;-) also open it in PPro if you have this and use the Get Properties for feature and display those or maybe open it with ImTOO mpeg encoder..it also had a nice feature for displaying the video's true properites like exact framesize, aspect ratio, etc.

3. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

I don't know how to post a picture here for you to see. But it looks as if a 4:3 frame had been crushed from above and below onto a 16:9 frame. Get it?

I don't use Premiere or ImTOO, but on Gspot it shows it is a 640x368 (1.74:1) feature. What other info do you need?

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

a 1.74:1 is a 16:9 enhanced ratio for Computer Screens(which have square pixels).
    Re-encode with the correct ratio of 1.77:1.

Use AutoGK, GordenKnot, or CCE w avisyth. Set for DAR 16:9

Best I can do without actually "seeing" the problem.
    Jam on.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  5. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

Thanks. I ended up using TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress, which allowed me doing the correction.

The exact ratio had to be determined by trial and error, finding the best natural proportions.