1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monitor randomly goes into power saving mode

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stineside, Aug 10, 2007.

1. stineside

stineside Member

hey, never posted before but have gotten a lot of help from here, hopefully someone will be able to solve this one for me.

so today,10 mins after turning on my comp, the screen randomly goes into power saving mode while i'm using it and won't turn back on. I restart it and soon after it happens again.....so after a couple times doing this i assumed it was the monitor itself and hooked up my old one. It does the same thing, so now i'm assuming it's the comp - but i have no idea where to start. I haven't installed or added anything new to my comp......any ideas?!

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

You did what I was going to mention. Hooking up another monitor. Your new monitor is safe however its time to go Vid card shopping.

-Del

3. stineside

stineside Member

new video card eh?! no way to salvage the one i have...download some type of upgrades?!? i guess thats too much to ask eh?! lame.

i read also somewhere..not on afterdawn...that slowing up your frequency refresh rate or something may fix the problem as well but there was little detail given and i honestly don't know where to begin. would that have any positive results?! (as you can see i'm trying to get out of getting a new vid card!!)

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

You say it happens with a different monitor hooked up. That would mean you can change your refresh all you want and have the same result. Be honest with you this is the first I have ever heard it mentioned to try a lower refresh rate.
    If you realy want to the right click on your desktop where there is nothing and select properties.
    Go to the settings tab.
    Now click advanced.
    Then select monitor. There is where you change the refresh rate. (60 being the lowest)

I really doubt this will yield any change. IF the card keeps cutting out on sending the video signal then there is nothing you can do. When the monitor says "going into power saving" it means it is not getting any input. If it was a refresh rate issue then the monitor would say something like "Out of scan range" and would not really ever show a screen after the welcome screen.

To rule out drivers issues (which I doubt) run the computer in safe mode with networking for a while to see if it happens there. That way you can surf the web while waiting to see if it happens.

-Del