1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor vs. Videocard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by IonÅphis, Feb 21, 2007.

1. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

A few days ago, i decided to help a friend in need and opened up my computer to put his hard-drive connected to my IDE, sort of routine for me, and decided to clean out a little bit while I was at it. After all was set and done when I went to close my computer back up again, I noticed my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro's fan was stopped. Now maybe I did something wrong this time, and overlooked it, and maybe it was there all along. Anyways, I kind of fixed it, and left the computer unattended for a while in the afternoon. When I came back home that night, and turned on my monitor, it wouldn't light up as it should, instead i get a yellow-gray faint coloring, as if my brightness was tuned down to the lowest levels. What's more fun, the menu interface to adjust size, rotation brightness, color, width, height, etc still shines up brightly as it used to; in which I drew out the obvious (at the time) conclusion, the graphics card tunned down its settings to prevent from overheating. To my heightened ego, I was right, the fan had stopped working again and it was way hotter than it's used to. I turned the computer off and the screen went back to normal, for a while. So I brought a replacement fan and now it runs smoothly. But guess what? The faint monitor is still there. Every once in a while, if I'm lucky, it will light up correctly. SO, I read in the forums that sometimes updating my video driver things get better. I downloaded the latest ATI catalyst (which to make things more unpredictable was the release yesterday) and installed it, yippee fracking yay, now WITH the driver installed, my computer not only has a faint dark image, the drivers have no effect. I mean, after installing the drivers it looks like if I hadn't installed anything, not even the windows xp driver, and it does that chopping effect whenever I drag a screen. I had updated from 6.12 to 7.2, and determined it could be a release issue, I rolled back to 7.1, and still no good. I disconnected the monitor and tried on another computer I have next door, and the faint dark effect is the same, which explains the faulty monitor, but the bad graphics installation? What the heck is going on? Is just my monitor to blame, or has my video card gone wrecked as well? I mean, could these driver installations be affected by the faulty monitor, or will I have to change my video card as well? Thanks in advanced to anyone who reads this essay and actually answers something productive. Thanks.

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it could be that the overheating card has caused it to malfunction which in turn has killed your monitor. now you know your screen is dead can you test the card on another? or the card in another box?

i dont think that updating your driver will do this although quite why it has said it installed incorectly im not sure. you could always try re-installing it.

i would test it with anther screen and if it starts to do anything it shouldn't to that screen i would replace the card.

3. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

I tried it, the monitor works fine, no problems, but after installing and reinstalling the video drivers several times (using regcleaner and drivecleaner pro) the drivers still have no effect and they still chop up as if I had no driver installed. What should I do?

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i belive omega drivers work on ati cards too.

if all drivers fail or have no effect it could be that the card is fried.

5. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

Ok, good news. I rolled back my to the day before this started happening (first time windows system restore ever did me any good) and got the videocard working back straight. Woohoo! So now aparently my only problem is the monitor. Since it was an old 17 inch CTR monitor, about 7 to 8 years, and it was probably it's time anyway, I'm trying to figure out if it really was the overheated card that blew it, or just a major coincidence in the time that I left my PC unatended. If it was my card that fried the monitor, that could have had repercussions on the card itself. Is there a program I can use and benchmark my videocard to compare it to a standard ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, in order to make everything is running smoothly? Cause if it's alright, I can atleast sleep well knowing I'm not gonna have to spend anymore money with this PC for some time (I'm kinda saving up to get a really upscale PC that's not only vista ready, it's vista killer, so a new monitor will do me anyway, but buying another AGP graphics to then have to switch to PCI-E later would be a pain in the back.) Another thing, when I do benchmark my graphics, is there a site I could go to compare the results? Thanks again to everyone who replied.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Try everest, it has benchmark tests... though i'm not sure if they work in the free version as well.
    For a site, i'd say try tom's hardware

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I had this problem a lot before with my old ATI 9250 card. This is what I did to fix it (it worked for me everytime). I made sure I had a copynote the driver doesnt have to be the most recent but it is recommend(ed)of a driver for the videocard either on a usb drive, cd,Computer, etc.. Boot into safe mode and uninstall last driver, if any Windows windows pop-up saying to do anythign follow them, and when all thats done just install the copy of the driver you have. And all should go well.

Also you may want to try checking your RGB settings for your screen, this could also be the culprit of your problems.