1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

! ! ! Monitor wont turn on! Need professional help ! ! ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Halycon, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Halycon

Halycon Member

ok, i just bought a 3 year old computer from my friend who used to own a PC cafe. The computer is roughly [bold]2.5 ghz, 128mb DDR Verto GeForce FX 5500, 128 MB of ram, 20GB HD[/bold]. The hard drive comes from a (approx) 6 year old eTower 733i, the monitor I use is a 15" emachines monitor too. The problem here is when i turn on my computer my monitor doesnt seem to turn on. The light on the monitor turns on, however the screen remains black. I tried to connect my computer via S-Video cable to my TV and it too remained black. I could really use help. Thank you for your time!

Corey

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any beeps from the computer? does the drives' lights go on & off as tho booting?

3. Halycon

Halycon Member

ok this is the update:
    There are no beeps, the mobo led directly on the motherboard is lit. However it sounds as though the hard drive isnt spinning or booting up. the LED on the computer is red as though it were busy, as well as the LED on the CD-ROM drive is lit as well. again the computer doesnt sound like it is booting up.

4. ddp

disconnect all cards, ram & data cables from motherboard except videocard & 1 stick of ram, reseat those. clear the cmos jumper. make certain voltage selector on back of case is set to correct voltage as in 115 or 230v for your area.

5. Halycon

Halycon Member

I have just tried this from reading it in another post. to no avail. it doesnt make any noises, it sounds unusually quiet, compared to my brothers, who owns the EXACT same computer. Im thinking its either a mobo, CPU, or HD problem.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

try connecting another monitor to the computer. its not the hard drive because even without a hard drive your mobo will still boot up. is it onboard video?

7. Halycon

Halycon Member

i have yet to try it to another monitor. the vid card is connected directly to the mobo if thats what your asking. So it wouldnt make a difference if i connected it to a tv?

ill give you the full account of what happened, so you all understand... I had just gotten the computer from a friend of mine and I had hooked up the hard drive to the MSI. however it said the HD did not have the drivers for the vid card, I then moved my Hard Drive to the old emachines computer, got the drivers from the internet and moved the hard drive back to my computer. I turned it on got to desktop clicked the 'nVidia' icon in the corner of the taskbar and clicked a box that said something along the lines of 'enable video card' cant quite remember what it said. I then went outside for 5 minutes came back and the screen was black. I turned off the computer and tried to turn it back on however the screen remained black. I tried connecting the emachines to the monitor and it works fine, but when i connect the MSI to the monitor thats when i got trouble. I will try connecting the computer to a different monitor, but please feel free to post additional info you may be able to piece together in light of this bit of information. thank for your time

8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

it sounds like the video card isnt working.is this a video card in a pci or agp slot?if it is try the onboard video,remove the card as everybody says and then try with onboard video if it has that.you have to move the monitor cable in the back once you take out vga[video] card

9. ddp

make certain the data cable to the hd is not in reverse as on some motherboards will cause the screen not to post.