1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Cables and such...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JohninTN, Jul 11, 2004.

1. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

What is the straight poop on these high dollar cables? Do they really help?

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

yes they do improve thins slightley but it all depends on your av/sound system if you have a bog standard set up then not realy but if you have half decsent stuff then they will improve things you find speaker cable expensive mine nearly cost more than my tv £19 a meter
    and i needed 60 meters so be warned ,he,he.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Any 14 gauge cable should do the trick for speaker connections. For video connnections i do really recommend a high quality cable. My Cambridge Audio Silver line £150 component video cable made such a huge difference over the £35 one i was using before that

4. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

cables should be the last thing you worry about. As long as you get cables that conform to transmission needs. For line level, you need 75 ohm shielded cables, preferrably foil and mesh. RG-6 (satellite cable) is perfect for the job except it is a bit stiff to work with. You can get RG-59 with aluminum foil and 95% copper shilding for like C$1 a foot loose or cheaper when you buy a 50 foot reel.

For speaker cables, depending on the length you need, you have to get bigger diameter (smaller gauge) as the length increases. Just go to home depot and get the clear vinyl covered 12ga cable and you will be happy.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Speaker cables are debateable, but for video transmission, high quality cables are needed. You wouldnt see a TV station using cheap $1 foot cable for their systems....

6. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

I can see it for long runs but most are just a couple of feet if that....What about that imstance?

7. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

I don't care what kind of cable you use, you have to use what is SPECed. Video transmission (be it composite, s-video or componentis a different matter) requires 75 Ohm impedance (at 10MHz). The difference lies in how well shielded the cable is and how well constructed is the termination (the plug - wire interface). 1 Dollar a foot for 75 Ohm cable is quite allright. Interference is detered with good shielding, that is why I said satellite cable RG-6, which are designed for much higher standard than RG-59 (although stiffer).
    One key thing with coax is not to bend it too much or you will break the foil, thus reducing its protection.

p.s. read the specs
    http://www.tessco.com/products/displaySkus.do?groupId=408&subgroupId=22

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004