1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moonshell?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Lupine666, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Lupine666

Lupine666 Member

Hi gang just got an M3ss for my son.

Roms work well but when I hit multimedia I just get a list of files.

I arrow down and select "ds_mnsh_.nds" or something but then

it says "file unsupported?"

trying to figure this out before vacation, any help appreciated!

cheers

2. spathi

spathi Regular member

the 'list of files' is moonshell! you dont have to run moonshell a second time. you get moonshell when you press the multimedia button. just select an txt/mp3/dpg/jpg(not sure about jpg) file

3. Lupine666

Lupine666 Member

if i select a file I get an "unsupported file type message"

methinks I forgot to patch moonshell.... and that drawing

program too. Im gonna see if I can go find the patch program.

Thanks for keeing an eye on me m8

4. spathi

spathi Regular member

The latest kernel (1.07 for M3S i think) supports on the fly DLDI patching, so you dont have to do that any more. the kernel includes a version of moonshell which works properly with mp3, dpg and txt files right out of the box.

When you start your DS with the M3S, you will see the main menu. If you choose the first option ('Game'), you will see a file list on the top screen, and a description of the file on the bottom screen, including an icon, the last modified date and time, maybe a cheat button. You will also see a brightness icon on the top left of the touch screen, and a Soft-Reset mode icon on the top right of the touch screen. In this mode you can only run NDS files, and read txt files. If you press [select] in this mode, the view will change to show different types of files based on the file extension. the default view is to show only .nds files. If you press [start] in this mode, it will return to the main menu.

In the main menu if you choose the second option, 'Multimedia', it will run the built in Moonshell, which will also show a file list at the top. But moonshell doesnt show the cheat button, or the brightness and soft reset buttons, or the status info of the selected file. Press [start] in moonshell to return to the main menu.

Now if it does show a file list, it doesnt need DLDI patching. Without patching it wont be able to access the filesystem at all, so it wont even know what files you have. From kernel V1.11 of the R4 and V1.07 of the M3S DLDI patching is supported on the fly so its not necessary to patch any more. Plus, the built in moonshell is already configured and patched to work with the R4.

If you have installed your own downloaded version of moonshell, reinstall the files from the latest kernel archive so that the built in moonshell is reinstalled and all the files that it expects are present. I have tried just a minute before posting this to view text, png files and play mp3 songs, and it worked. I don't have any jpg files on the microsd at this time.

I'm using the latest kernel. It includes v 1.71 of moonshell which is the latest stable release on the moonshell website.

Let me know how it works out!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. Lupine666

Lupine666 Member

Thank you for the timeley advice. You are correct I can see the file system so the auto patch is in effect. Looks like I keep making mistakes.

Anyway, upon further inspection, movies (.dps) work perfectly therefore moonshell is working.

It says ".mp3 extension not recognized" but Roms and movies have a much, much higher priority. If It comes down to it I can convert the .mp3 to another format suchas .ogg or whatever.

We are all set. Cheers.

6. spathi

spathi Regular member

do you have the moonshl directory on your microsd? i have an mp3.msp in /moonshl/plugin. presumably this is what enables mp3 playback.

I can see the mp3.msp in the English-1.11.rar for my R4. Check if you have that in the M3S kernel release.

7. Lupine666

Lupine666 Member

All the files are in the 'root' there is no folder system in place. Could that be the issue? I will implement such a folder system as well as double check for the mp3.mps.

I tried .ogg files and got the same "file type not supported" message