1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard and processor compatibility help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dawai, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dawai

dawai Member

Hey guys and gals,

I'm trying to rebuild a computer for my father b/c his old motherboard died and he wants to just find a replacement motherboard. I checked newegg for a Motherboad that supports a Pentium 4 2ghz (socket 478) But i don't think my processor is a Prescott. And all the listings basically said "Supports Pentium 4 Prescott/ Celeron D"

My question is... Will my Processor work on these motherboards? or do they only support prescott/celeron processors...

Thanks,

Dawai

2. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

"Prescott" is a code name of sorts given by Intel to the technology driving a certain style of Pentium chip. If your chip is not a Prescott, then a motherboard which only supports Prescott processors will not work for you. Run another search on Newegg.com, this time going through the left-hand menu: Motherboards>Intel-compatible>Socket 478.
    There will be mobos that support Precotts/Celeron D, Core Duos, etc. but if you continue to scroll down there will also be a motherboard with support for a straight Pentium 4. There is only one as I can tell, and its here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127235
    If you'd like to post more information on your CPU, we can help you find a motherboard that will fit.