1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard,CPU and graphics card,trouble

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by braysh, Jun 27, 2007.

1. braysh

braysh Member

I hope there is somebody out there who can help me.Recently I installed a Intel Asus P5VD2 X series Motherboard,A celeron(r) CPU 3.33 GHZ,1.00 gb Ram and a GForce 7100 GS Turbo Cache Graphics Card.
    The graphics card is when the trouble started.The drivers I installed just sent the computer haywire,the Icons when big the mouse moved but the arrow didnt till a while after and went from where it was to where it should be.After uninstalling the drivers everything seamed ok until trying to use some programmes and games,then it said install upto date drivers and it needs DirectX 9.0c which I had installed prior.The computer regularly crashes.Ive redownloaded the drivers from the supplier but the same happens.
    So I would be most grateful if anyone can tell me what has gone wrong and what I Should do to put it right.
    Hope to hear from my saviour soon.
    Braysh

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does that board have onboard video? if so, is it set for pci or agp in the bios?

3. braysh

braysh Member

No it doesnt have onboard video and it is a pci slot Graphic card

4. ddp

is that a pci/e 16 card as manual shows pci/e 16 slot, pci/e 1 slot & 4 pci slots.

5. braysh

braysh Member

As Iam not too sure what you mean,the manual says
    1 x PCI Express x 16
    1 x PCI Express x 1
    4 x PCI slots
    (Note: PCI-E x 1 and JMicron JMB363 SATA controller cannot be used simultaneously)
    One other point I checked the control panel and Device Manager and on other devices there is a yellow Question mark and on the sub section (Video controller(VGA Conpatible))is an exclamation mark.This I take meaning a conflict between something.
    I hope this info can get me a little nearer solving the problem and thanks so far for the help.

6. ddp

7. braysh

braysh Member

My son did the installing so Im Not sure about the motherboard but I did redownload the driver for the graphics card and that did the same as the supplied driver.I will try installing the motherboard drivers again,then theother which I will redownload again.If anything else can be recommended Im all eyes,Thanks...

8. ddp

9. braysh

braysh Member

Thanks.Am doing the downloading,will finish off am(uk)

10. braysh

braysh Member

Ive now tried both sets of drivers and it doesnt make any difference to what its been doing.I reinstalled the graphics card to make sure its seated right and in the right slot and they were.So i think Ive tried almost all things.Iam still open for suggestions or is it that the card is at fault.Thanks for the help

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it sounds like the graphics card could be at fault. When you uninstalled the drivers for it, the main processor has to render the video. The fact that the issue only repeats when the graphics drivers are installed suggests that the graphics card is the issue. If you can find an older revision of the drivers though, try those before returning it.

12. braysh

braysh Member

Thanks.I will try and find an older version.The other thing I found out is that its a 64 bit one and I can only find 16 and 32 bits in the display section of the control panel.
    Appreciate all the help Ive been given

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The bits of the graphics card memory and your display colour setting aren't the same. All Graphics cards, 32-bit, 64-bit, 128-bit and 256-bit will all only give you the 16 or 32 bit colour options.

14. braysh

braysh Member

Thanks.Thats one more to cross off the list.Its pointing more towards perhaps a faulty graphics card or possible any damage caused to it during installation.I dont seem to be getting things sorted but at least I am learning a few things while trying.Thanks again all.