1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard Installation

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pirate4, Nov 19, 2007.

1. pirate4

pirate4 Member

Hi I just got an exact replacement motherboard for my gateway computer I was wondering if the was anything special I need to know with installing it. This is the my first time installing any hardware besides ram.

Also can you pls give me a good instructional site on the installation procedure.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well there's not much too it. Ground yourself by touching UNPAINTED metal on your computer. Make sure you don't work on a carpet or in leather shoes. Only touch the motherboard on it's side. It's fairly simple, unscrew the old motherboard and screw the new one into place.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's nowhere near that simple, I'm afraid. You shouldn't be daunted by the procedure, but if it's a Gateway PC it'll probably use a standard thermal pad for the CPU. If this is the case, then when you move the CPU to the new board and re-attach the heatsink, you'll need to clean off the old thermal compound and put on new stuff (Arctic Silver V is recommended, but not as cheap as other solutions out there. You can use something like Window and Glass cleaner to remove the existing stuff, as long as you're careful. Don't apply much thermal compound, simply enough to spread an almost transparent layer over the die of the CPU itself (not the entire mini-board the CPU is on).
    Also make sure all the connections and sticks of RAM are seated correctly.

4. pirate4

pirate4 Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well most of that stuff is basically plug and play. Don't be daunted, it takes me about 5 mins to do it, and I don't do this very often.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thermal compound goes on the CPU, not on any actual part of the motherboard.

7. pirate4

pirate4 Member

thanks for the info on the thermal compound just googled it for exact instructions I knew it didn't go on the motherboard just needed to know what spot on the fan. I have seen thermal only on a laptop before.

Real glad to get off this old 98 system I hate this thing.

8. morguex

morguex Guest

just apply a dab of artic silver 5 on the back of the cpu, about the size of a grain of rice, thats more than enough, then seat the heatsink and your good to go.
    I find nail polish remover dabbed on on clean cloth takes off the old stuff nicely, just dab a little on the cloth, not enough to make it drip off though.
    Good luck