1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motherboard problem asus a8n sli premium powers up but no

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wigster, Jul 24, 2005.

1. fusseli

fusseli Member

clearing cmos was all my friends comp needed, worked fine after that for a while. later that day while playing an inaugural game of doom, the powersupply shorted out. yes, the 600w enermax sli psu BLEW UP. rmad it and got a new one. left the system downloading updates when we went out, came back and it was off, wouldnt turn on. burning smell from back of comp. psu blew up a SECOND time. so we sent back the mobo with proc and memory, and the psu back. i guess it mustve jsut been a bad board..

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ouch!!!

3. bandit1.3

bandit1.3 Member

HI JUST A THOUGHT BUT HAVE YOU PLUG IN THE 4 PIN POWER CABLE I THINK IT'S AT THE TOP ON THE RIGHT OF THE BOARD ASWELL AS PLUGGING IN THE MAIN 24 PIN POWER PLUG . JUST THOUGHT ID MENTION IT JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT. BECAUSE IT WON'T BOOT UP WITHOUT IT

4. ddp

bandit, knock off the caps as referred to as shouting as per forum rules above.

5. fusseli

fusseli Member

well of course everything is plugged in lol, what kinda nub doesnt check that first? ;)
    to keep in mind also, the 4pin molex on the mobo doesnt need to be plugged in unless you are running 2 cards in sli, thats the only purpose of that extra power plug.

6. ddp

fusseli, that is not the purpose of that 4 pin connector as my biostar board with agp slot has it! it provides extra power to the motherboard. that is why some motherboards have 24 pin power connectors & most have a 4 & 20 pin connector.

7. fusseli

fusseli Member

i am talking about the MOLEX connector on the mainboard, not the atx connector, not the additional cpu power 4 pin connector located near the cpu on the topside of the board

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  8. Leeoniya

Leeoniya Member

same problem - the lights are on, but no one's home :(

3200+ a64 Venice core
    Leadtek 6800gt 256MB PCI-E
    2x512MB PC3200+ (DDR400) CL2.5 PNY sticks.
    Thermalright XP90 HSF + 92mm Panaflo w/rpm monitoring.

gonna try the removing the battery thing. Alt+F2 does nothing. no beeps, no monitor signal, fans work, lights are on. if i hold down the power button for more than 4 secs, instead of turning off, the fans speed up and stay there. huh?

needless to say this is a big surprise given a top of the line expensive mobo :(. i ordered the CPU/mobo combo though, why would it all the sudden not work if they tested it to work before shipping. i'm not even running a San Diego. it should not be this annoying.

Leon

9. ddp

try posting the board outside the case with no data cables to drives

10. Leeoniya

Leeoniya Member

board is sitting on an antistatic bag that is on a 1/2" plywood board. outside of the case. PSU is a thermaltake xaser silentpower 480W, got the pci-e vid card in, connected power LED, power SW, both atx connectors (4-pin by the CPU and the big one), cpu fan connected to cpu fan header, also have the vid card connected on the end with the aux power connector they provide. got one stick of 512mb double-sided-x8 PC3200 in the dimm slot shown for single module setup. RAM is good, pulled it out of a working system that has passed numerous memtest86 runs. :(.

Leon

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  11. bigwhomp

bigwhomp Member

I just got my replacement board in the mail yesterday. I RMA'd it and there was no problem getting a new one. All the store said was that it was tested and failed. I had the same problem as everyone else, lights and fans on, but no system beep and no post.

12. hedmash

hedmash Member

I had the same problems with my ASUS A8N-E motherboard. I figured that it was down to the PSU not having any connectr for the 4 pin 12v input. I brought an adaptor cable and it works! So you DO need the ATX12V 4pin connector wire or else it won't boot.

If the board doesn't beep when you boot up it could mean either you have a problem with the power connections or the graphics card.

13. rugripper

rugripper Guest

sounds like what happens when the bios jumpers are in clear mode.idont know just guessing

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

same issue was had with the ASRock mobo i used in a recent build. i pulled the power and the cmos battery, let it sit for a minute, and plugged it all back in; booted right up. if that doesn't fix your problem and you can confirm the rest of your equipment is good and compatible, you probably have a bad board. :(

15. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

Ok first of all an SLI board needs two ram cards to boot to the screen.Found that out the hard way setting up an asus sli.The bios would give long beeps and would post a no sync to the monitor.Placed the first ram card in slot A and skiped the second and place the next ram card in slot C.Check your memory for your motherboard to see if it's compatible.No screen usually means the memory.The asus board has a talking bios when it has a problem.

16. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I originally had just on stick of ram which was 512.I had to take it back to the store to get 2x(256) put a evga nividia card 128 ddr3 and an ultra ata133 HDD and a floppy for future SATA drives.Boots fine had the same problem you did.

17. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

If the A8N fails a memory test you get an audible warning in the form of a woman telling you "Memory test failed". If you are using 2 memory sticks of the same type make sure that they are placed in slot A1 and B1. As for the power thing I had to change my PSU from the Antec gold 550w as it kept shutting down the PC at randomw points. Not got a blue storm 500w and all is okay. Sure hope you get it all sorted mate.

Dan

18. Jeroi

Jeroi Member

Hello! I had these problems past with similary problems:

First I manually installed mobo to my atx case... same problem.. computer starts no video and do not seem to start windows and nothign... Power is online fans are moving but hdd leds do not do anything.

Answer: I had too much those screw connectors under that mobo and it caused short-circuit on the mother board.

second: I installed new agp videocard into the agp slot... again same thing.

Answer: There was my soundblaster soundcard at next pci slot and one of it's pin's touched my agp gfx card and caused short-circuit. Had to move my sopundbalster into different pci slot.

I hope these help you.