1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motherboard replacement question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cdcra, Aug 13, 2007.

1. cdcra

cdcra Member

I am replacing a failed Motherboard/CPU or just upgrading a Motherboard/CPU in a PC. I want to use the same hard drive as used with the old motherboard including the OS and all the programs installed on it. I am using the XP SP2 OS.
    Can I just boot up the system after installation of the Mobo with the old hard drive and load up the new drivers that come with the new Mobo? Or are there issues I must take care of first?
    Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usually this is only possible if the chipset is the same. In most instances, you will need to reinstall windows.
    All I can say is try it. If you get lucky, great. If you don't, time to dig out that windows CD.

3. cdcra

cdcra Member

Thanks, that's what I expected. O woe is me!

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

You can also try a repair install of XP. that fixed this problem with many of my customers. But note that doing repair install will cause XP to revert back to the SP that is on the CD. All security updates will also be lost. Programs and files will be untouched. Always run Windows update after repair install is complete.

To save you some time on reapplying SP2 do a search for Slipstream XP SP2. you will find a way to create an install CD with SP2 on it using your current XP cd and a blank CD. I did it in Nero. This is a link to a slipstreem instruction http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

-Del

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. cdcra

cdcra Member

Thanks, y'all. I have a Slpstream disk for my SP2 XP. I'm going to try your suggestions out. I appreceate the help.
    cdcra