1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto v551 and win98se

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by rdrdude, Apr 7, 2005.

1. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

Has anyone got their phone to work with MPT via usb cable wit win 98?

I installed program but will not recognize my phone. Are their specific win98 drivers?

Any help would be great! Want to be able to transfer pics and vids to pc.

Matto

2. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

I installed the win 98 drivers I found in the forum and still no go.

Matto

3. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

i used to have win98 and it was working gr8, have u tried the drivers that they r on the stickie threads,,,,

4. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

Well it recognizes new hardware (my Motorola (v551)), and I point the search to the folder where I extracted the drivers but it says the right drivers are not there.

Beforehand I uninstalled all drivers, MPT and removed device in system device manager so it would be clean install..

Any other ideas you might have I would like to try.

I also tried PK2.

Thanks much for any help,
    Matto

5. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

the drivers that u point them r they for wino98se???

6. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

Yes, they are the ones you had posted in the sticky threads for win98se.

Thanks, Matt0

7. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

Mossyy, well I gave up on my win98se box but I did get it to work on my wife's XP laptop so its all good. :]

Matt0

8. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

glad to hear that,,,,,

9. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

Well I finally figured it out . I have not been able to use my v551 with mpt and win98se until just now . I tried to install a new driver (p2k)with no luck . The driver would install but in modem properties There was no com port assigned to the usb modem. I finally went into safe mode and went to device manager . selected the usb hub for the modem and updated the driver there(p2k). I restarted the computer and there it was on com port 4 . I then ran mpt and went to setup . Then changed the modem to the usb modem and wam bam thank you mam. it works .

10. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

I could never get the drivers to install. I worked on it for a while with no luck. At least I have it working on our XP machine.

Matt0

11. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

did you try installing the driver in safe mode(f5)? I left the phone plugged in and scrolled down in device manager to the usb port for the phone and installed the driver there

12. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

I tried that but I saw no USB port for the phone, I assumed it was the Unknown device USB port. I tried to update drivers on it and it gave the message "best drivers already installed for this device".

If you have any ideas I'd like to try them.

Thanks, Matt0

13. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

go ahead and reinstall the p2k driver and restart the computer. As I stated I had the phone installed when it was in safe mode . When you restart it should say usb modem installed . Go to control panel , modem and see if its there ,and what port its on. mine was on com4. I did delete the usb modem before I started in safemode

14. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

What version of p2k did you use? I tried to install vers 2.3 but they wouldn't install.

Matt0

15. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

16. andyem

andyem Member

I figured out a fool proof way of installing my motorola v551 phone under win98se.

First off use the drivers that the last poster provided: http://bongowireless.com/file_download.php

18 P2K Drivers for Windows 98

Once downloaded you can install a dummy modem under COM4 and then windows will by default will install the modem on another port which SHOULD BE COM3. THIS MODEM WILL ONLY WORK UNDER COM3 and nothing else. You can use modem tools under control panel to keep track of all of this. Then verify that windows has installed the modem under com4 by first checking the name of the modem which should be: Motorola USB Modem or Motorola USB Modem #2 depending on the type of dummy modem you used. Then select that modem and click the diagnostics tab and click more info. It should give you information in the box at the bottom. If it says com busy or open then its done wrong. Remove it and do it over again. The drive date that works is 11-6-2003.

OR you can move it around on the usb ports on the back of your pc letting it install a few modems. Eventually windows will put the modem on the correct port. You can use the more info tab to check. Once it has been installed make sure to remove the other modem before you launch motorola tools. Becuase it will try to use your dumy modem first causing it not to work.

Although this is very annoying and confusing windows 98 was the first system to support usb and in windows xp you can select ports you want it installed under. (Although Windows XP chooses the right one and it takes a minute to install). Anyways good luck but keep trying the dummy modem becuase I have tested it 3 times and it works.

Take Care

17. rdrdude

rdrdude Member

Hmm..tried all that but I only have com1 and com2. Tried adding a dummy modem but will only install on com1.

Matt0