1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola DCT6400

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by cob_, May 3, 2005.

1. cob_

cob_ Member

I had one given to me by Cox in Oklahoma, and it kept locking up during recording playback, with just a black screen and no audio.

Cox tech came out and gave me a new one today, and it froze tonight after about 4 hours, but left the image on the screen. This happened while watching live TV. I changed the channel, and it's worked fine since about 3-4 hours ago.

A previous Cox tech that came to the house for the 1st box told us they'd be upgraded between the end of April and beginning of May. The 2nd one told us it'd be upgraded in June or July. They both say this should fix the issues we have with it. Like many others on this forum, I have a few complaints against the box, and I'm not sure a firmware upgrade is going to fix all of them:

1) No coax output
    2) Snowy analog channels
    3) If receiver is left on Dolby Digital Surround, stereo channels only output through center speaker. Maybe this is my receiver, though.
    4) Instability thus far.

If I can't get this solved soon, I think I'll switch to satellite and get one of their DVRs. What do the satellite providers give you?

2. stan1976

stan1976 Regular member

i have a motorolla dvr also, not which model though. mine will freeze unexpectedly while changing channels, lock for a few seconds and then shut off and restart. then it taks about an hour for the guide to come back completely. and this doesn't happen at any specific times either. sometimes i'll change channels rapidly and it happens, sometimes when i change the channel one time. i just got cable less than 2 months ago and got a new box. so i had them come replace it with wnother new box and the same thing. so i'm thinking that motorolla dvr's must have some kind of flaw.

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've had my Motorola 8000 from Time Warnere (here in Houston Tx) & have had no problems with it. It gets a lot of use with no lockups, freezing or pixxilation. Guess I got lucky or the 8000 is a better unit than the others.