1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mottled DVD Play Back on WMP

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by rulisky, Apr 10, 2007.

1. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I recently had to rebuild my computer. New motherboard, power supply, and hard drive. All is back together now and working fine except for this issue.

I normaly used WMP to play a DVD before backing it up. Now the play back of the ORIGINAL disk looks grainy or mottled. Hard to describe, but it looks poor. I make my back up in the usual manner and it (the Backup) looks great. I am puzzled. Using all my usual tools and settings (as far as I can recall). Disks are Sony +R MIJ (TY) with ImgBurn performing the final processing, booktyped to ROM.

I have selected burning at 4x on the 8x disks, but it burns at 1.2 anyway. So it takes a bit longer. Yes, DMA is ON.

Wonder what might be causing the slow down? Any ideas on what I may be missing? And why would the copy play BETTER than the original?

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have managed to "correct" this issue. Found the solution to be a bit puzzling and felt like describing it in case anyone searches this.

After installing WMP 10 on my rebuilt system, I needed a DVD decoder plugin. Used NVDVD that came with my video card. Now WMP will play a dvd, but I got the mottled appearance as described.

Then I tried Nero ShowTime and it looked great. Hmmm. I found a Decoder check utility from Microsoft and it said the Nero decoder was NOT compatible with WMP10. Same comment on NVDVD decoder.

Then I though about uninstalling NVDVD and looking for another, compatible decoder. Left Nero in place. Did NOT mark any decoder as "preferred" within the MS utility.

Well, AFTER uninstalling the NVDVD program, WMP still plays a dvd and it looks just fine. Original and/or backup.

GO FIGURE!!

I am leaving well enough alone and just running with it as is.