1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mov to Mpeg w/TMPGenc - No Sound :-(

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sksksk, Jan 16, 2003.

1. sksksk

sksksk Member

Hi. I had read an earlier thread asking how to convert mov to mpeg. Based on that I d/l'd the latest version of TMPGEnc, the QTplugin extracted to the TMPGEnc folder, ran the conversion and it worked for the video part of it but there is no sound. I tried Dela's suggestion to someone else in another thread to open Virtual dub, save the file as a wav the put it back together again in TMPG, but I still have no sound; neither did the other suggestion in that thread, which wasn't dealing directly with mov to mpeg, I realize that, but thought I'd try it to see if maybe it would work. I don't know if this is a codec thing; I hate mov, never use it, but unfortunately this particular clip - Bush at the school on 911 - is only available in mov format; so I have no other options as far as the source is concerned. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

sksksk

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

In TMPGEnc, click option - environmental settings. Click VFAPI Plug-in. You should see "Quicktime Movie Reader" In the list and it should have a "0" priority. Try giving it a higher priority (right click and click higher priority!). This might fix your problem!

3. sksksk

sksksk Member

Thanks, Dela. I'm processing it now; I'll post again after it's finished; hope it works.

Update: :-( Sorry. Great video but still no sound. Like I said, I've never worked with .mov's before, and wouldn't now if it weren't for the fact that there's just no other version of this thing, and I'd like to be able to make/have one. I'm just so unfamiliar with it I don't even know where to start. Thanks anyway.

sk

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  4. Dela

amm why dont u try mov2avi and then convert the avi with tmpgenc??

5. sksksk

sksksk Member

Well, based on what you'd said in another thread, I did d/l mov2avi. I struggle a little bit with command line programs to begin with, but I do manage to use some. The problem is, even though I hate to admit it, that I don't have a clue how to use that program. When I try to run it - either by double clicking on it or trying to run it through the start/run command in W2K nothing appears on the screen. If I could get it to .avi that would be fine; it doesn't have to be mpeg; just not .mov. I'll try to do some google searching on how to use mov2avi. Thanks for your help.

Update: I did a Google search and it seems that at least part of the problem might be related to the fact that I had not installed the 'Authoring' component of QT. Additionally, I found a GUI for mov2avi, authored by the 'GuiGuy', installed that along with the authoring component, and was able to convert the mov to avi with sound. I am curious now whether or not the install of the QT authoring codecs will help with TMPGEnc as well. I'll post another update after I try that. Thanks again for your help. Hopefully this post will help anyone else having the same problem. (Below is the link for the GuiGuy site.)
    http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/mov2avigui/down.html
    sk

Last edited: Jan 17, 2003
  6. Dela

Ye a GUI would be great really!!

7. sksksk

sksksk Member

Well, if you're being serious, kewl. If you're just goofin on me, that's kewl too. :) (I guess it's just hard for me to believe that you hadn't ever heard of this gui interface before; and since I'm a total newbie to this, it makes more sense that you're just having some fun.) But either way, the gui definitely helped me. And adding the authoring from the QT optional installation items also helped with the TMPGEnc encoding as well; now it has sound there too. Thanks again for help and for your quick replies.

sk

8. Dela

I aint goofin on ya man. I wouldn't do that, i'm being serious. command prompts are just annoying!

9. sksksk

sksksk Member

So does that mean you'd never heard of this GUI proggie? Or that you knew about it but just didn't like it? I found it to be very simple to use. So if it is something you hadn't heard about before, it should make a nice addition to solutions for folks like me who just never get comfortable with command line programs. If you decide to try it, post a response and let us know what you think.

sk

10. Dela

I don't use mov2avi at all because i have no sound problems with TMPGEnc!

11. sksksk

sksksk Member

Gotcha! Now I understand. And once I installed the authoring component of QT, TMPGEnc worked like the fine program that it is, so I guess I didn't really need the Mov2Avi either, but since I'd already installed it, then found the gui, I figured I might as well use it. Thanks again for all your help Dela; this is a very nice forum.

sk

12. Dela

No Problem, anytime ya need help! ;-)

13. cool_2003

cool_2003 Guest

hi,

i'm new but i got a serious problem.
    i have no experience with "console" programs.
    so i have absolutely no idea how to use mov2avi.
    its my hope.
    i tried a lot of other progz but everytime the same
    problem..."(No Sound)"

so, can anyone write me a short Manual how to work with mov2avi

cool_j_2003@hotmail.com

14. Dela

I have never used the gui of it so i wouldn't know but what exactly are you trying to do, convert mov to vcd/svcd???

15. cool_2003

cool_2003 Guest

i tried to convert a .mov file into mpeg or avi

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2003
  16. cool_2003

cool_2003 Guest

IT'S DONE!!!

i took TMPGenc for converting the video.
    then i took cool edit and the record function "what you hear".

So i had a sound file an a Video File.
    and with VirtualDub i compared the sound and the video
    (i had test it more than one times because there was al litte interleave between sound & video)

17. Dela

Just as a little tip aswell, install the newest quicktime player if you are using the qtplugin and everything seems to go great with TMPGEnc then!

18. cool_2003

cool_2003 Guest

the problem was that there was no Sound when i converted with TMPGEnc

19. Dela

I know that was! Installing the latest version of quick time can also solve that problem if you are using the qtplugin with TMPGEnc