1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

move stuff in signature

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by kinza, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinza

kinza Regular member

I think it would save some scrolling space if the signature was moved to the yellow space beneath the user name. [​IMG]

2. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

good idea, but just about everybody would have to resize theirs in order to have it fit in there.

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

yeah that's true but i think it would be a change for the better.

4. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

Maybe it could be a personalization option???I'd like it...

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

yeah i think that's a better idea, now if only mods would look at this.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

@kinza, You can PM one of the mods with a link to this thread or use the report an offensive thread button but in the message box type something like(Check out this idea.) They will see it that way.

Jerry

7. kinza

kinza Regular member

do u think its a good idea?

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think the idea is good, but you may loose any animation of the gif by doing so. The link to the gif site may not work in that area without some changes to the operating system of AD.

Jerry

9. kinza

kinza Regular member

i'll contact a mod

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Actually dRD would be the fella to ask since us Mods can't do anything about the format of the site. I imagine he'll see this soon enough :)

11. kinza

kinza Regular member

oh well i pm'ed flip, should i pm dRD or just wait until he comes. by the way, how do u like the idea?

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

On one hand having the animations relegated to a size specific avatar under the nick would be nice since it would eliminate those who love gigantic flashing crap in their sigs but on the other it would also penalize those who keep their sigs within reason.

13. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

yea it is up to da boss. I agree it would eliminate the big gifs, but also it would probably minimize your sig limit. The signature field can only fit soo many characters .. and your way the space would seem smaller. Or the sig would be very small (IMO)

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

maybe we can have an option to choose that like doggy_bot suggested. or if our sigs are a certain size than the stuff in the sig would automatically move to the side.

15. kinza

kinza Regular member

oh, i guess i should have put both the suggestions in one post?

Here's another idea: I think we should rearrange the forums according to popularity. It becomes tedious scrolling all the way down past forums that get minimum posts. Why is the "Consoles" category not in alphabetical order?

16. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

This is once again this always-popping-up avatar issue. Yes, I could add the avatar support to the forums in a way that you could go to your "My Account" page and in your personal options, upload a GIF or JPEG to our servers that would then check whether the image is within the acceptable limits (such as 5kb max size, width 100px, height upto 100px or something) and tell whether or not the system accepts it. Or alternatively resize / repack the image to fit within the limits.

But... As people are people, it would actually just mean that then people would have this 100x100px GIF as their avatar and still, the 40kb 1920x1440px JPEG in their sig what some people tend to use nowadays.

Anyway, I've drafted plans to start working on "personalization" and "profile" system for users, which would ultimately create something quite nifty, not seen in "mature forum tools" (like vBulletin or phpBB). The idea includes stuff like personal "homepages" on aD (obviously not very much customization allowed, but you could upload few pictures, etc), a little "journal" or "blog" for each user, ability for other users to comment on that particular user, etc. And of course the usual stuff -- show birthdays, country of origin (and no, there wont be states for American users. IMO, its bit silly to implement U.S. states as dropdown for location and not to include stuff like China's provinces or UK's "countries" -- no offence to anyone, I just think Net as a global phenomenom :), your preferred forum rooms, short desc for yourself, optional ICQ/AIM/Y!/MSN address, etc.

To get back to the topic, at the stage when I start working on the customization -- most likely last quarter of 2005 -- I'll consider the avatar option as well as the option for users to switch all the sigs and avatars hidden when they browse the forums.

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Couldn't you modify the code for the sig area to not accept [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  18. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks for looking into it.

19. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

@ dRD,

Sounds like that thing on MSN called my space...

20. kinza

kinza Regular member

well, you have to sound professional

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.