1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Freezes up towards the end--Someone has to have the answer..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rebel985, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

Well its like this....After the movie is burned, when i watch the movie, it freezes towards the end. I went out and bought different media. (Went from Memorex to TDK) Tried again and it did the same. So then i changed the compression alot, and it seems like that worked, but im only burning a little more than half the disc. Why would this happen? I know they say cheap media has alot to do with it, but can that be in this situation? The more i compress the less quality i have... So i would like to find some answers so that i can use the burner and media to its fullest...Please help.....

Rebel

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

If you are using DVD Shrink, lower the target size to 4300, this stops burning close to the outer edge.
    Burn at 4x and no faster. Also if you use the re-author mode in DVD Shrink and just grab the main title and 5.1 sound then your compression be much less.
    And make sure all background programs are disabled, and try not and use your computer while it's doing this.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Rebel985
    First of all, what program are you using, what burner and what media? Also, what are you trying to record and how large is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2005
  4. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

I have 2 different types of media. First i had Memorex. Then i went out and bought TDK. My burner is I/O magic. I tried to burn 12 movies, and all of them but one would freeze. Whats funny is the one that didnt freeze up was the longest in length.(SpiderMan 2). Strange...If this helps, let me know.
    Thanks for the reply...

Thanks Bardie, i will try that. But i am already burning @ 2x. But i will try the target size. Thanks

Rebel

5. brobear

brobear Guest

You never said what software program you were using to record the DVD. How can anyone even venture a guess without that info?

Let's just say I/O Magic isn't one of the big names in DVD burners yet. You can run a utility to make sure the drive is functioning properly.

An easy test for what you're doing is to download a trial of another program and try that to see if your system records properly. I suggest Slysoft.com with CloneDVD2 and the decrypter AnyDVD. Read the product descriptions on the site to understand what they do. AnyDVD is a background/driver type decrypter. Those programs do just about everything for you and leave little input for user error.

6. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

Im sorry...I am using shrink, and decrypter.
    I am thinking about going back to the store and swap it out for a Sony one..or maybe th HP one....Any sugestions anyone????

7. brobear

brobear Guest

The top line Plextor and Memorex burners are industry favorites right now, among others. These 2 just caught my eye. I'm not even saying it's a burner problem. Just that is an avenue to check out.

It would have told us more, had you told us the movies that locked up. There are currently some movies Decrypter and Shrink are having probs with; i.e. Bourne Supremacy, Resident Evil 2, and Little Black Book. Shrink is going to run into more decryption problems as time goes on. Supposedly, Shrink will not be updated again, it's at the whim of Dr Shrink.

Sometimes just cleaning up the system, cleaning out the av and spyware, and deleting and reinstalling the apps will solve the problem. I've run into probs with Shrink and Decrypter not loading properly and a clean reinstallation solved the problem. Make sure you have the latest versions.

If that doesn't fix it, try the trials for the programs I suggested. That will tell you if the problem is with Shrink and Decrypter or if it's more a system wide problem.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Did I mention Slysoft has a 3 week trial. The Clonedvd2 isn't my top choice of software, but it is simple and one has to work to make a mistake with it. The AnyDVD is a keeper in my book. Currently, it is one of the top decrypters out there.

9. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

So what do you recommend Sony or HP as far as burners go.??

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Well if it is a choice between the 2, I'd go with the Sony. But at the present time, neither are really of interest to me. I will say I've had good luck with some HP drives in the past, so I'm not knocking them. Just beware that some Sony drives were made by optowrite and those were a bit questionable (problems with recordable media compatibility). I don't remember the particular models, so there is a good search for you. I do remember this from dealing with optowrites and sonys though.

11. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

Ok well i went out and i found a different kind i decided to try anyways. Name brand is "Liteon"
    So i am going to give it a try. It was the same price i paid for the other one, so it was easy to go in there and swap it out....Well here goes!!!
    Wish me luck!!!

Rebel

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Liteon has a good rep, doubt you went wrong. Good luck. Like I said before, the drive may or may not be the problem. Things like that have to be checked. But, if it works, then you know that was the problem and you'll probably have a better burner besides.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2005
  13. Rebel985

Rebel985 Member

Well Brobear I think that may have been the problem!!
    I burned one DVD so far, and when I played it back on my internal drive, it played all the way through without a freeze up!! So I think I have got it now. I will continue tonight and burn a few more just to make sure. Thanks for the help, and i will post a little later to let you know how it went and to make sure the first one wasent luck!!

Thanks
    Rebel

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome, glad you got it going. I'd say you'll probably be happier with the Liteon. Hope everything keeps going smoothly.