1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie on hard drive to DVD

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by hansis, Jan 19, 2005.

1. hansis

hansis Member

I have some movies which I downloaded to my hard drive. My problem now is copying them onto a DVD. The movies are shown as format Video Clip and the sizes range from 521,445kb to 717,788kb.
    I converted one of them to MPEG (using xtreme mpeg selecting under options the D1 NTSC(DVD)720x480 @ 29.97 fps/ 7.2 Mbps template) which went fine but the size went to 5,284,706kb which is too large for the DVD.
    I have tried to use DVD shrink which does not seem to work with these type of files (MPEG or Video Clip) as I can not find them using the Open Files command - it only takes me to the folder but does not see the movies.
    My DVD burning program is neoDVDplu5 which works fine until it tells me that the video will not fit on the disk.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

hanis,

To start off, it would serve you better to make things as simple as possible and not as hodge-podge as you've presented them here - you'll be waiting for help until the cows come home when you give no thought to how you word your problem –

Use either MB OR GB when dealing with size., Please use correct terminology when referring to formats not something such as "video clip" that refers to nothing in particular - kind of describing a certain vehicle that was involved in an auto accident and telling the police it was a car - it doesn't narrow it down at all does it ?

The one piece of information we needed was the name of the proggy you used to convert as there is no Xtreme mpeg Unless you were referring to Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro OR Realtime MPEG-2. Taking one part of a name and attaching it to another part of another name isn't anything other than stupid. I say that knowing that you aren't bright enough to test us.

Why am I bothering to explain this to you ? God only knows. Hopefully, something may soak in and you'll be able post intelligently in the future (I hope so) and maybe there are others out there who can't, don't OR won't think before posting –

To answer your question, because despite everything else, it's what we're here for despite challenging posts –

Convert your files to something that's DVD compatible i.e. VOB's.

Use DivxToDVD (it's a real program) to bring them in from the Stone Age to the light of a new day - THEN run them through DVD Shrink – to compress them down to size. The proper size being 4812.8MB (Ya see, I'm going easy on you, you have only to convert to GB. how would you have done from bytes ?).

I then suggest you burn those files with something a bit more popular, say Nero Burning ROM.

Here is the guide for Nero so that you don't get lost –
    First download Nero. This is a 30-day, full functioning proggy,

Nero Ultra Edition Trial - http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY – I'm going to attempt to make this as easy and painless as I possibly can. To get to Nero Classic, follow the "bouncing ball". First, - lets go to Start, All Programs,then Nero, then Nero Ultra Edition and finally Nero Burning ROM.

When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose "DVD". Directly under that click on the "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.

You now are in the "DVD Video" window. In the left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In the "File Browser" screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the "Shift" key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button. Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, \
    "Burn Baby, BURN" !

One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"

Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STAND AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Do not fold spindle or mutilate and never mess with the lady when she's working - it could be hazardous to your health, you understand -

Warning: I personally cannot promise that your PC won't blow up at this point BUT I do caution you not to use a gasoline soaked cloth to wipe your computer housing down while smoking a cigarette. I'm thinking I might have gone wrong somewhere around there. I'll be out of the burn unit in time to find out how your DVD copying went so, don't forget to write :)

Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy your backup,

"Pete"

Remember, when you're lQQking for a guide that's certified certifiable, shop ScubaPete :p)

4. hansis

hansis Member

ScubaPete,
    thank you for explaining in length inspite of my being out of my leaque.
    I have now learned about kb vs mb/gb.
    The program I used to convert is called Xtream MPEG (made by Mediostream).
    As far as the movie formats are concerned I still do not know how to look it up properly. I use the Properties tab from the menu and that is what it shows. Appreciate if you can tell me nore.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate the rest of your explanation and guide which will help me a lot.
    Regards

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

hansis,

It's always better to stick with what you are sure of, that way, when you draw us a word picture we'll be able to follow it with you instead of trying to guess what you're talking about.

No worries -

If you haven't already, download DivxToDVD -

http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm

Here's what we're going to do - As I told you before, take your folder of files, enter them where it says "source files" in DivxToDVD. Where it says "Destination folder," create a folder where you want to work on your files -

First create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DivxToDVD can deposit files and where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and Nero 6 can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/Mending a Broken Heart by Edward Scissor hands). We also want to create a folder and call it "Working Temp folder." This is where we'll put the copy of files we'll be burning to disc. Let's make those folders now - and put that address in the Destination box of DivxToDVD and then click "Convert."

Since we're going from your downloaded files to a burned disc, forget those directions for using Nero Burning ROM for just your files. You do have to download Nero on your PC so make sure that's done and continue on . . . .There are no settings to bother with on Nero, it just has to be downloaded and installed -

Are we done ?

"Well, Alrighty then," - - are we relaxed, loose and ready ? Yes ? Good, then moving right along . . . .

If we haven't done so so far, Let's Download the newest DVD Shrink ver. 3.2.0.15 -

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size between 4300MB and 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't so large it burns to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab[b tick [/b]"Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". DO THAT NOW !

To make sure we have everything, it's time that we acquire some decent DVD discs. This is extremely important, many backups fail because pple choose some cheap crap and it, plain and simple, doesn't work.

DO USE Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Ridata, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO Dye, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.. Many other media could cause you errors, only the very best quality media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I've saved buying these." Cheap stuff in - ). This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We do want to use them because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

Since you've run your file through DivxToDVD we're now going to "click" DVD Shrink' s "Open Files" and find your folder with your converted files then Click "OK" and wait for about 30 seconds to about a minute while DVD Shrink "Analysis's" your DVD. Since everything is "automatic" we can go straight to the next step which would be to Now click "Backup" -

Under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.

If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform Deep Analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust Quality Enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original.
    Now, take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "your burner, If you have 2 burners, select one". Finally, where it says "Select folder for temporary files", browse until you find your created folder for your backup work, find your "Working Temp folder" and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that DVD to your HD. It then opens Nero and has it burn the files to your waiting blank DVD.

Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working. -

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER ! Go make a sandwich, watch some TV just DON'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER !

Everything up until now is perfect, stealing resources from the burning process could mess the whole thing up. If you still think this doesn't apply to you just don't come back to the forum when the DVD is messed up.

When you're lQQking for a Guide with a demented disposition, shop ScubaPete.

Enjoy,

Pete

Iffin ya don't want de ScubaPete hounding ya until the end of time, ya better come back and tell us how ya made out. I'm not a-kidding now, Hurry back -

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  6. bigmac6

bigmac6 Guest

Can i just say a big thank you to Scuba Pete as i have followed his every word and guides and have learnt a lot from his advice. I have managed to copy DVD's and make DVD's from my DV camera with a lot less hassle than i would have had....so thanks Pete.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're more than welcome . .

Burn on, my friend, Burn on . . .

8. hansis

hansis Member

Scuba Pete,
    all worked well thanks to your detailed and accurate explanation.
    Thank you and I hope that I may ask for assistance again should I run into any other problem.
    I can see that a lot of other people also appreciate your guidance.
    Thanks again.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

hansis,

Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre). You can check out our forums on Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even cellular phones Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)
    Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be lQQking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers my friend, Pete :p)