1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

movie size/burn time

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by skllcandy, Oct 2, 2007.

1. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

ok so typically a movie downloaded is around 700mb. why when i burn this movie it takes FOREVER to burn?? i use Nero vision express, i think..idk its a few years old. my dvds are memorex and support either 8x or 16x, and my burner is 16x *i think..but that isnt the problem** so why does a movie 700mb take hours to burn yet if i burn a ps2 game i dled thats like 4GB and i use dvd decryptor burning at 4x it only takes like 10 minutes tops?

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

NeroVision is encoding the 700MB file into DVD compliant Mpeg2. If you want to burn it as data, use Nero Burning ROM, but it won't work on a DVD Player unless you player is DivX Encanced and the video file is supported by the player (I don't know anything else about DivX & XviD).

In order to make it faster, try a DVD Conversion program like avi2dvd, convertXtodvd, etc... or an encoding program like Mainconcept Mpeg2 encoder, TMPGEnc, ProCoder, CCE, etc... With the encoding programs, you will have to author the DVD with something like DVDLab Pro or DVD Flick.

After the DVD Folder is created (or ISO Image), it will take roughly 15 minutes to burn to DVDR.

Encoding uses CPU power, so the faster the CPU, the faster the encode. Software also makes a big difference. I find Mainconcept to be the fastest, but it is NOT free. If you have an old PC, odds are it is going to take a while to encode. A 2GHz CPU can probably encode a 90 minute movie in 120 minutes 1-pass and 240 minutes 2-pass.

3. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

hmm, do you know if a PS2 can play movies put on a cd as a data disc?

4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I am pretty sure it cannot. I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt it. Maybe someone made a hack for the ps2, but I never looked into that type of thing.

5. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

well i have the latest version of swap magic...idk if you know what it is, but just in case. its a soderless mod for the ps2. it lets you launch progs. from a mem. card or usb devices

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

The only way it would work is if someone made a DivX player for the ps2 that you can load on your memory card unless the ps2 has native support for DivX which I highly doubt. I am not sure where you can find out about this sort of thing. There are a lot of members in the ps2 forums that are very knowledgeable. Maybe make a thread in the appropriate ps2 forums titled "Can I play DivX files on the PS2" or similar.

The way I know you can have the ps2 play the video file is to re-encode it to mpeg2 and author a DVD with it, but then you will need to burn it on a DVDR.