1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie skipping?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JJenn74, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Your very welcome squizzle. Here's a scan of a verbatum dlp.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Mort81/VDLPBEST.png

BTW I can't really tell what the PIF was on your scan but for single high spikes don't worry. You can right click on the chart and delete the highest spike. Also you should set the scan speed to 4x as the norm.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

well, I don't think I will be able to do it with the same drive. I screwed it up, might even be toast. Tried hackin from 411S firmware to 811S. Now the amber LED blinks whenever the computer is on and it doesn't read anything.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

naw, I think she's toast. Put a disc in and it don't even spin.
    If you try to explore an empty drive you usually get an error: please insert a disc. Well on mine it looks like an empty folder. I can put files there and then try to burn to a disc using some windows utility, but it never sees the disc. I checked all around, didn't see anything about this problem, posted it at club.cdfreaks, haven't gotten an answer yet. For now I'm just gonna unplug power from it and use the external.

5. breddick

breddick Member

Rather than make a new thread I thought I'd just add to this one since I'm having similar issues. I too tried to back up Meet the Fockers a few days ago and it skipped like crazy At the very beginning... I didn't keep playing it to see if it got better. It did ,however, play fine on my computer.

I have tried to research how to comprehend my Kprobe results but haven't figured it out yet. I'll paste a summary of the results that came up on notepad when the kprobe scan finished...

Date : 4/23/2005 11:36:45 PM
    Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS02
    Disc : DVD+R , MCC004 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
    Speed : Max
    ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
    Scanned range : 0 - 2286147
    Sampling count : 117689
    Errors : 40
    PI Max : 262
    PI Average : 10.26
    PI Total : 172584
    PIF Max : 138
    PIF Average : 0.39
    PIF Total : 6633

When I look at the PI graph it starts out with a short run of very high spikes at around 200-250. It then goes down quickly to under 40 (mostly under 20) with one or two individual spikes scattered in the middle. If I knew how I'd post the scan but I haven't figured that one out yet.

I'm using a new Lite-On drive with 16x dvd+r verbatims (bestbuy specials) I would have liked to have burned at 4x or slower but the 16x only gave me 6x as the slowest speed to choose from. I could have probably gotten around this but wasn't sure how.

Oh crap!!! I should mention that I used decrypter, then shrink, Nero to burn with.

One more thing... MTF has the theatrical and extended versions on the dvd. When looking at the vob files how can I tell which ones go with each version so that I can lessen my compression by leaving one off.

Thanks!!!

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi breddick,

Your PIF spikes are way to high. Anything under 4 is considered good. Don't worry about the PI spikes unless they get in the mid to upper 100's There's a couple things we can try. First update your dvdrw with the latest f/w update. look here. http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm If there is no improvement you can try resetting the eeprom (I had to do this to my litey and now the burns are the best they've ever been) but we'll try this last. Here's a scan I just made. Not one of my best but still ok.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  7. breddick

breddick Member

Mort81,

I updated the F/W from the link that you gave me. I'll give it another shot and see if its any better.

I should have mentioned that I am using the booktype utility which takes away any incompatability issues.

BTW how do you attach your kprobe graph to your message... Do I have to somehow save it and host it to my own webspace and then link to it??? or is is simpler than that? I figure theres a guide on here that will explain it all... does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks!

8. Brodey

Brodey Member

Someone help me understand something Im not getting. I can rip and burn movies and have been using DVDShrink and occasionally when I have an issue, I use dvd decrypter then Shrink that file. I use TDK+R dvds and have never had trouble, But the last two movies, Meet The Fockers and House of Flying Daggers once ripped and burned, Skip and give digital pixels when I play them on my dvd player, although they play well on the pc, they dont on the dvd player. What is causing that, anyone know? I wanted to add that this also happens on other dvd players if I share them with others to watch so I dont believe its an outdated dvd player

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  9. breddick

breddick Member

Brody,

exactly the problem I'm having. I've updated my firmware and I'm going to try again. I think I'm going to try to take out the extended version to also lessen my compression by a bunch. I'm using a good burner and good media so I don't think those things are an issue. Good luck and if you figure it out feel free to repost your findings!

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Skips, freezing, and pixelation are usually caused by subpar media, or you are burning to fast. Use media such as TY, Verbatim, Sony, Maxell. Try burning at 2x or 4x. Also make sure your firmware is up to date on your burner.

11. Brodey

Brodey Member

I tried burning them at 4x and 2x and the results were the same. I tried finding out how to update the firmware but could not see where there was an option to do so on XP. I went to the HP website but my media center does not have what is described on the site that directs me to the firmware update, is there another generic way to update the firmware?
    I found the FIRMWARE update online and updated it that way, it worked and my copies are perfect. Gracias Arnie

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

breddick,

You need to use an image hosting website to post your scan results. I use photo bucket. I also booktype all my +r media dvd-rom. Like I stated earlier, your PIF errors are too high.

13. breddick

breddick Member

Mort81,

I did as you said and did the burn again. I also did the deep analysis on shrink before encoding. Here's what I got from K-probe on the second attempt. I haven't tried it in my dvd player yet but the scan shows to be a major improvement... Again, I'd put the graphs on here but I haven't figured that out yet.

Date : 4/24/2005 9:17:09 PM
    Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS05
    Disc : DVD+R , MCC004 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
    Speed : Max
    ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
    Scanned range : 0 - 2286154
    Sampling count : 117871
    Errors : 3
    PI Max : 10
    PI Average : 0.75
    PI Total : 12579
    PIF Max : 2
    PIF Average : 0.04
    PIF Total : 710

Thanks!!!

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

breddick,
    You are welcome. That looks a whole bunch better. That disc should play without any problems. Glad to see the improvement. Let me know if I can help in the future.
    Mort

15. breddick

breddick Member

I played it last night in my player and it was perfect... no skips! I've signed up on photbucket so I'm going to attempt to post my scans in this message... It may take me a few attempts to get it right.

I know the PI graph is little off... I should have shrunk the y-axis.

Thanks

[​IMG]

16. breddick

breddick Member

Could someone tell me what is wrong with my image tag in the above post. I copied it directly from photo-bucket and thats the way it showed up. I could just keep trying but I don't want to clutter up the board just to figure it out.

Thanks

17. squizzle

squizzle Active member

try to change the img tags to lower-case. That's the only thing I can think of, unless you put the wrong URL in there.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

breddick,
    You have to browse < find the folder with your pic < submit < then copy the IMG < paste it in your thread.

19. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

Hey guys! Glad to see my original post take off! I see you guys talking about graphs and levels being too high or just right. How do I get those reading for my discs? I've switched my media from DVD+R to DVD-R and that cleared up alot of my problems. But, I just burned "Ocean's 12" and tried to watch it on my Playstation 2 and it skipped. I also copied "ET" and tried to play it on my standalone and it played fine until 3/4 of the way through then skipped. What am I doing wrong? I'm burning at 4x on good media using Decryter and Shrink. Should I change the bookmark? Would that clear up any problems or is it something else?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi JJenn74,
    What is the brand and media code of the media you are useing now? Also setting booktype to dvd-rom can only be done with dvd+r/rw media and your burner has to be capable of doing this. Some aren't. Pioner is one example.