1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie with rebuilt IFO plays from hard drive but not DVD

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by pierrrre, Jan 12, 2007.

1. pierrrre

pierrrre Member

Hi everyone

Last evening, I backed up a old movie (TOPGUN) from a scratchy DVD. I used anydvd and first tried with CLONEDVD. Because of the scratch, I had to switch to DVDdecrypter (with Anydvd on). After several unreadable sectors read from the fourth and last VOB file, the movie was finally on my hard drive. Four vob files and one ifo file were in the video_ts folder. When I tried to play the movie with powerdvd I only got a error message. To solve this, I removed the ifo file and created a new set of ifo files, and some others that I don't remember the extension, with IFOEDIT v0.971.

Once the files created I tried to play the movie again with powerdvd. Everything was A-OK. The movie played as it should be. I burned the movie on a DVD+R using CLONEDVD. As proud as a peacock, I put the DVD in my stand alone dvdplayer and pushed play. Bang, Crash and burn (remember, I backing up TOPGUN). The movie started for a fraction of a second and stop. I tried playing the burned dvd on my pc and it also start for a fraction of a second and stop (not feeze, just stop). The copy still on my hard drive still works fine.

Does anybody have any idea what is going wrong between the hardrive and the DVD media that could cause such a thing?

2. pierrrre

pierrrre Member

BTW
    Sorry about the typos in my first message but I can't find any "edit" button.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Almost all playback problems are caused by one of the following, in the order of prevalence:

1. Media: Use good media. See my sig on that. Don't assume that just because a particular brand "always worked for me" will work this time. Many "brand names" change their disc suppliers as often as you change your underwear.

2. Burn speed: The rule is 4x speed for single-layer discs and 2.4x for DL discs. Some say 1/2 the disc's rated burn speed for single-layer discs is a good rule of thumb (i.e. you can go up to 8x).

3. Booktyping: DVD+R discs booktyped (a.k.a. bitset) to appear as DVD-ROM offer the highest compatibility. Next are DVD-R discs. DVD+R which truthfully report themselves as DVD+R have the lowest compatibility, excluding the ReWritable (RW) formats. You can use DVDIdentifier to determine what booktype your discs are being burned with. Some drives do not allow you to booktype single-layer discs, so a hacked firmware is required. See http://rpc1.org.

4. Burning: You need to burn video DVDs as a "DVD-Video" compilation type. Nero and possibly recent versions of Roxio support this, but many burning softwares do not. The reason why you cannot, say, use a DVD-ROM compilation type is because the DVD files need to be located on specific places on the disc and the IFO/BUP files need to be updated during the burning process in order for the DVD to "boot" in most DVD players. Software that understands how to make proper, compliant Video-DVDs will do this. Note my use of the term "DVD-ROM" here has nothing to do with booktyping. Also, do not use Nero to burn DL discs; use PGCEdit and/or IMGburn.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  4. pierrrre

pierrrre Member

Thanks for your reply Dunker.

I did what you mentionned with Nero. I created a DVD-movie with it. It worked, well.....sort of. The DVD now works on a stand alone player but the audio get more and more out of synch as the movie progress. This is a common problem as I can see in the forum. I will give a shot in trying to figure out the solution.

Once again, thanks for your help.

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

How many IFOs/BUPs are on the original disc? And how many were on the rip you made to disk? Don't let PowerDVD trick you - PowerDVD freaks out at almost anything, so don't let the fact that PD didn't play it mean there is necessarily something wrong with the movie.

Another trick may be to try ripping the movie again to your hard drive with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Have it save to a directory on your disk. Then use Nero Burning ROM (and using a Video-DVD compilation from the startup wizard) to burn the VIDEO_TS file from your ripped DVD to a fresh one.

The only concern is, if you had read errors and they could not be fixed, then you might need to find another copy of the movie to back up.