1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies To Big...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DynoO, Jan 16, 2005.

1. DynoO

DynoO Member

I'm New To Burning DVDs I Put In A DVD Its Like 7 Gigs and my cds are only 4.3 gigs. Read About Using DVDShrink Does It Lower The quality of the dvd or is the quality the same and can i keep the special features an stuff. Also do i have to decrpyt the dvd first? any help would be nice thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Go to the top of the forum and click on Guides it will list a guide for all sorts of programs choose 1 and follow it.

3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

1. Yes you have to Decrypter it. DVDShrink can do some of the older movies but not most of the newer ones. Get Shrink anyway for the compression, and get Decrypter.

2. Not really, unless you intend to watch it on an HDTV, which it tends to get rather pixelated, in which you'll probably want a DL burner and media to make a direct 1:1 backup.

Otherwise, I enable Deep Analysis and AEC (Adaptive Error Compensation) in Shrink to help spread the compression out, thus improving quality. Takes a little longer but worth it. I can compress with as little 60%, and haven't noticed any difference on a 27" Zenith. Probably would notice it more on the higher resolution TV's like Plasma or LCD.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

ok I guess I could explain a little more. The disk you have to burn on is a DVD5 disk burns 1 layer on 1 side. The Movie your trying to copy is DVD9 layer, 2 layers burnt on 1 side. SO yes you have to compress the DVD to a DVD5 disc. You can use DVD Shrink/ DVD2One/ Clone DVD etc etc Like I said go to the Guides tab at the top of this fourm and look at each guide and choose 1 that suits you best. You have to learn by trial and error we all did.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there DynoO, welcome to aD,

I'll show you an easy way to do your backups if you like ~

It takes little time, no knowledge (except mine), zero $$$$ and I'll try to make it fun to boot -

What do you say ? Are you up for it ?

Kweel, let's get started . . . .

I need for you to do 2 little things for me if you will -

First, go grab something to drink, a soda or a cup of coffee will do fine -
    AND
    Second, go and grab hold of one of your favorite DVD's cause me and you is a-goin ta copy that "Bad Boy" in the next little short-short, Okie, Dokie ?

Me, I'm going to wait right here until you get back and then we'll get started -
    Are you ready ? Good -
    Here we go, step by step - it can't fail, "Uncle" ScubaPete's can't miss "We're going ta burn a DVD backup right now

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink's newest version here - )

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that - Get yourself nice and relaxed and follow this here, it's a step by step - and this baby can't fail, kweeler than a snowball down the back of your pants ScubaPete Guide, (Weeeee, :)

First, create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive.)

To be sure we don't miss a setting and that all steps are followed EXACTLY -

Why not PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !

(So much easier to work with don't Ya know -)

Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing - Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, open up DVD Decrypter and under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". "un-tick" the box that says "Verify". Where it says "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.
    ("Gee willikers Mr. Bill, I'm tired already - this is truly a lot of work." (Lol);)

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size no higher than 4360MB - If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4300MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large AND that we're not burning to the very edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK".

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Now let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. We'll just "Chill" while this "Puppy" does it's thing -

Ya ready ? Let's burn that DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages like Bovine Slobber Jaw, Saturn Ring Worrble, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" .
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Now this is IMPORTANT - Don't use your PC for anything at all while she's working.

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Just chill and watch some "tube" for awhile and when she's done working, she'll let you know, heh, heh -

Hey, I've got to get going - I want to pick up a DVD to watch tonight from Block Buster's - Just give me a holler when you get done and "catch me up" on how it all turned out, OK ?

Kweel, Chat with you later -

Cheers,

Pete :p)

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

ScbuPete I see you all over this place posting all this stuff. Man i sure hope you copy and past all that info cause if not your fingers gotta be cramped up.

7. DynoO

DynoO Member

best to burn on -r or +r?

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Either, if your burner and standalone player will handle both formats. Most new DVD players will. I use +R and a lot of forum members like the -R. Like I said, it's a matter of preference and usually just a personal one. Some players don't play some media very well, that is a matter of firmware usually. The important thing is to buy quality media. Meritline is a good internet sales site and they handle the Ritek line plus some others. Riteks are usually good and an economical choice. Verbatim, Maxell, TDK, Sony, Ricoh, Ritek are all good brands, there are others. Just avoid the no name unbranded items. Purchase branded media from a reputable source with a good guarantee.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD Shrink is a good freeware program, better than many retail items. A virtual tour of the program and on DVD Decrypter can be found at http://www.dvdshrink.info , these guides are quick and easy to understand.

For a retail solution to your recording needs, use DVDCopy3. It's not free, but it is one of the best recording apps on the market. This one is simple enough for the beginner and works well for the veteran user. It does real well with big movies that other programs have compression problems with. It has a 21 day full function trial, so free to try out. http://www.intervideo.com

Retail or freeware, the choice is yours. I have a 60 inch TV and a 7GB movie recorded to a 4.7 disc looks great using DVDCopy3. I'll have to admit, Shrink does well to. DVDCopy3 also records to the dual layer media (Shrink does so as well). Try both and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  10. DynoO

DynoO Member

Thanks brobear. ANd Thanks ScubaPeter Ur Way Worked Perfectly :)

11. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. Since you're a beginner, I'll toss in a post I prepared for beginners so they know a bit about the recording process.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

DynoO,

You're more than welcome,

Hey, I'm glad you're burning up a storm :)
    Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre). You can check out our forums on Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even cellular phones Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)
    Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be lQQking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers my friend,

Pete :p)