1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mozilla Firefox Tips and Shortcuts

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by deezp1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I recently gave up on IE and your tutorial has helped a lot on my switch Mozilla. Much Appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005
  2. maxsmith

maxsmith Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  3. Athono

Athono Guest

I think I will write my own browser based on FireFox's open source.

Has anyone else been tempted to give this a shot?

4. pippa

pippa Guest

I wish i knew enough about programming to be able to do it. But i would have thought browsers like Firefox were created by a team of brains, not just one person in his basement, as well as quite a bit of funding behind it. But hey, go for it. if u pull it off, sell it!!! YEA!

5. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Ok folks, here is some big FireFox News if you havent heard yet:

FireFox 1.5 Beta has been released (it has been a couple weeks actually, but I have been too lazy to post it)

Here are some details from Mozilla themselves:

"Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 is now available for download. Also known as the 1.8 Beta 4 milestone, this is the first beta release of the next major Firefox update and is aimed at testers, extension/theme authors and Web developers. The final release of Firefox 1.5, which will be widely promoted to end-users, is scheduled for later this year.

New features include an improved software update system, faster Back and Forward navigation, a feature for clearing private browsing data, drag-and-drop reordering of browser tabs, a redesigned Options/Preferences window and better popup blocking. Web standards support is also improved, with support for Scalable Vector Graphics, JavaScript 1.6 and more CSS. Accessibility is also better (including new DHTML accessibility features), security has been enhanced and there's now greater support for Mac OS X.

Looking ahead, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Beta 2 is scheduled for release on Wednesday 5th October and the first Firefox 1.5 release candidate is due on Friday 28th October."

Sounds cool, I haven't yet upgraded because it is still buggy and doesn't support a lot of the extensions yet, but I am eager to try it out though.

6. jin666

jin666 Regular member

Cheers for the tips, gotta try a few of them out guys!

Jin666

7. Cbielling

Cbielling Guest

hi im not sure if this is the right topic for this so if it is not, sorry. anyway, i was wondering if anyone else is having problems with firefox not blocking certain popups. the main ones im having problems with are these media.fastclick.net "popunders" . some of them even appear on this site. its funny because my firefox will say "firefox has prevented a popup window" but there is is in the windows toolbar on the bottom. Is it just because certain companys are finding ways around firefox's popup blocker or do i need to do something else?
    PS: I have the "block all popups" option checked, so its not that.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Cbielling - i live on Afterdawn (in Firefox) and i get those pops you mention quite a bit. it's only the odd time si it's no big deal, but i think Firefox blocks most stuff like that anyway

9. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Ok Folks its been a while, but here are some more. The new ones I added are 1.5 compatible, but Im not too sure on the old ones, but Im sure they should all work fine.

10. mattallen

mattallen Guest

Does anyone know that you can save video clips from youtube.com and google videos using firefox, i have done this but when the file was saved it is a php file, any ideas on how to change it so it can be a wmv file or something like that...

11. MJ2323

MJ2323 Member

thanks for the tips

12. slew0408

slew0408 Guest

cool info, thanks

13. ShareJack

ShareJack Member

:: Tip: Ctrl+TAB you can navigate in the tabs to the right
    Tip: Ctrl+Shift+Tab you can navigate in the tabs to the left

.. i prefer to use the Ctrl+[ Page Up / Page Down ], easier to remember, but thanx.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

:: Tip: Set mutliple Home pages : Tools---->Options--->General and seperate each page with the pipe | symbol

.. a good one, really

Overall, some new, know most.. but a very good list!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  14. nakro

nakro Member

Hey whats up guys, ive got a small problem with firefox. I just installed it yesterday and as soon as i want to start the firefox browser my screen goes to low res ( 8 bits ) and it all looks like crap lol. but when i close the browse it all goes back to normal.

I hope someone can help me out here !

Thanks in advance.

15. bakedcake

bakedcake Member

those are some good tips and ill be sure to use some of those. but i have a problem with mozilla that maybe someone can diagnose for me. every 10 minutes, often less, mozilla crashes on me. the option pops up for sending the error report, debug, or dont send the error report and the mozilla quality feedback agent comes up. this has recently started occurring very often on a daily basis and every time the feedback agent says it was a program crash. any ideas on why firefox is continuously crashing and any ideas on how to possibly to stop this? any help would be greatly appreciated and i am new to this forum so if this is discussed elsewhere or im in the wrong section i apologize.

16. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I would uninstall/reboot then reinstall firefox/reboot and see if this doesn't clear up, also...if you have installed some sort of new plugin I would uninstall, this new plugin may cause firefox to crash (if installed).

17. bakedcake

bakedcake Member

how would i go about reinstalling firefox? i understand the uninstalling part but where would i need to go to reinstall it. i hate sounding like a noob but i dont want to uninstall it then not be able to get online to ask you how to reinstall it.

18. nakro

nakro Member

I tried but reinstalling doesnt work, i did not install a plug-in. I really dont know what to do.

19. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

I'm sorry guys, but Opera really is the superior browser. :) It already has a ton of Firefox extensions built into it from the beginning. And it really does load much faster than Firefox, even with the tweak, I would know, I used IE for a year, then Firefox for 2 years, and now Opera for a couple of months. It really is the best of the 3. No need to install extensions or anything, plays a lot of flash videos, built in adblocking, built in chat, remembers your open web pages when u exit and open again from the beginning, and a ton more stuff, plus the new one has a built in bittorent client. :) The point is, it has most of what you have to install in Firefox in it out of the box. Try it, it's a better expierence than Firefox. :) Not bashing anything btw, just trying to help. I'll create my own topic soon, about Opera. I won't post in this about it anymore.

Btw, as for suggestions on Firefox, I also have to reccomend IE Tab, it's a lifesaver, although in Opera, you can just choose for Opera to appear as if it's IE, which saves even more time, and gets a ton of things working.

I would also reccomend Fasterfox, SessionSaver(which Opera has built-in), Answers, and Adblock. These are all extension by the way, if you want to use Firefox, make sure you install all of them to get the best out of it.

20. bakedcake

bakedcake Member

well ive never really liked firefox to be honest, the computer was set up with it when my uncle bought it. and since it just crashed on me the first time i tried typing a response to this im royally pissed with the damn thing and so if you wouldnt mind posting a link on where to get this Opera you speak of, im willing to give it a try. if this getting too off the topic for admins, you can email me with it at ccccsmurfs@hotmail.com (i made it in 6th grade, dont ask) if you dont mind helpin a fellow out.