1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 downloads

Discussion in 'Audio' started by vaq130, Sep 20, 2009.

1. vaq130

vaq130 Member

Hello, sorry if this has been brought up before but could not find it on research anyways, what site is the best for your buck to download good quality music?

2. Mez

Mez Active member

This question hasn't been asked in at least 6 months.

You did not put in enough qualifiers. As you asked it, Pirate Bay or other torrent sites are the best for the money. They give away lossless. eTree or something like that has public domain music. There are news groups that sell this aquired music cheap. These are all less than 100% legal. There is also Limewire and Frostwire but they are more risky since the software will allow an out sider to get into your computer. That is akin to doing something ilegal on your porch while with torrents, you are behind closed doors. To gather info on you it must be aquired illegally. I have never heard of a torrent user being taken to court.

Then probably etunes (I think that is what the siter is called) and Wolfgangs valt.

The above are outside the label's control.

The major labels will not allow their music to be downloaded in a HiFi fomat. Regular labeled music is all sold at 128 CBR, commercial bit rate. ETunes sells indie music. Some big names have gone indie over the mp3 issue. Wolfgang's Vault has live music from concerts of one promoter. The promoter has a right to record and sell that music. He died suddenly a long time ago. The wharehouse he kept all the music and memorabellia was sold for back taxes a few years back.

All commecerial music is 128 BR no matter who you buy from. That is better than HD radio, 90 BR, but is no where near HiFi. To hear HiFi you need HiFi speakers or HiFi ear buds. Most in the ear buds are HiFi. HiFi speakers are pricy.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  3. vaq130

vaq130 Member

Thanks Mez

It seems that you are definitely knowledgeable on music downloads, will try Torrent and a few other sites that you suggested some one told me about Bear share, what do you think of that site?

Again thanks a lot for your information.

4. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Ya ever hear of Amazon? E-Music? Their downloads are up to 320 Kbps, most at least 200 Kbps ABR or VBR.

5. vaq130

vaq130 Member

Thought that anything past 128 was useless????

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks Teddy, that one site was e-music not etunes. I did not know about Amazon. I don't keep up with much of this. I have never down loaded commercial music. I have even thrown out gift cards you get with mp3 players. I actually am getting behind in the torrent world. I have more than I need so I don't do that any more either.

As far as quality, that all depends. As a new born we have perfect hearing they have the 'equipment' to hear 320. It goes down hill from there. I am old and hard of hearing. I can easily hear the difference between 128 and 160. It is believed most adults, can't tell the difference over 190 BR. To hear the quality your equipment needs to be HiFi. Your standard Apple supplied ear buds are too poor to hear a difference.

Bear share is another simple P2P network. Easy to use, easy to get caught. Not that they are going after persons these days. The other drawback is the users are less careful less technical and are lazier. Virusis, trojens and miss labeled tags are common on these networks. The worst are the trojens. Hackers use these networks to prey on the stupid. They can commit crimes using someone elses computer, usuallty a string of computers so they can clean up their trail before the cops can find them.

My son knows friends that the feds smashed down their door in the middle of the night and took all their computers. The feds have admitted they made a mistake. It is likely their computer did the crime but they were just dupes.

If you do opt to go the free route, install peerguardian before you do anything else. Robots that illegaly scan your computers are common place. When you down load they will want to scan your computer. If you play non DRMed music on players associated with music stores you get scanned every time you play a non tune not on the original disk. The information can not be used against you but they are aquiring it for some purpose.

7. nikila

nikila Guest

hello

Friends are u looking for the mp3 songs then

8. Mez

Mez Active member

nikila, the question was for good quality music. I believe Youtube is on par with non HD FM radio. Have commecial grade. Even if you capture at 320 you will only have 70 BR in a huge 320 box, posining the music pool. Youtub is great to get a feel for what an artist sounds like but it is not serious listening music.

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive downloaded quite a few mp3s in the past few weeks and i just google search them 1 at a time.most the songs i get are free but i dont have the latest sterio equiptment so i cant exactly say the sound quality is the best but they seem alright to me.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Analog audio technology peaked circa 1950. Having the latest technology doesn't mean it is good. The only impressive technology I have seen has been in the ear buds.

It is good that you are satisfied.

Me and other dinosaurs have HiFis and are used to hearing Fi Fidelity music. Once you get used to the good stuff you can't go back. Most of my enjoyment is from the magnificence of the fidelity not the melody. Otherwise it is trying to enjoy a brilliant sunset with dark sunglasses.

11. vaq130

vaq130 Member

You still cannot beat the sound from Vinly.

12. Mez

Mez Active member

vaq130, to each their own. Your are in a minority. Vinyl requires great care to keep it sounding as good as excellent digital. Even excellent vinyl has a hiss between tracks that hiss is surly all through the music. Vinyl sounds 'warmer' but is that an artifact of the vinyl? The differences between excellent vinyl and an excellent mp3 are tiny to be sure vs the mosterous gap between HiFi and garbage mp3s (128 BR and below).

Most persons I know are capturing vinyl and then archiving them. There is too much baggage with vinyl plus even with a disk washer you wear the platter very time you play it. It is unlikely it sounds exactly the same as the day it was pressed. I like digital because it is consistant and has no baggage. I had a huge vinyl collection but it is dwarfed by my digital collection.

We have learned with CDs that they produce inconsistant music. CDs are likely more consistant than vinyl but will rarely read the same block consistantly 10 times in a row. Good rippers read and re-read blocks enough times to figure out which it the right read.

13. vaq130

vaq130 Member

Mez, you are right but that first few play's they sound great just like you were there, currently trying Bearshare and limewire, prefer the latter but Bearshare is easier to manipulate so far.

14. Mez

Mez Active member

The same with any HiFi. It is like you are there. Actually, often better because they usually have more better placed mic pick ups for a studio recording.

15. vaq130

vaq130 Member

You hit the nail on the head, I remember the mid sixties and when Stereo came out bought a Scott turn table and a amplifier or what ever they were called then and you could actually coordinate the treble, bass etc. and it sounded great on good size speakers with a good Sony headset I thought that I was in heaven.

16. Mez

Mez Active member

Then you should be more FAR more selective with your audio. If you want advice, tell me how you are listening to the mp3s. What software and what speakers/ear phones you are using or are you burning CDs?

17. sashu2009

sashu2009 Guest

Good day! Try and u will thank me!

Get totally FREE access to the most complete MP3 library ever (millions of files, every single song on Earth!)
    You can create your personal playlist, either listen to your favourite tracks online or download them: there is even a program Internet Download Manager that downloads everything for you automatically!
    The registration process takes exactly one minute: users from all countries are welcome!
    Videosearch should be enabled shortly (Video Clips, Movies, TV Shows, XXX and etc.) - it's already available for Russian users, there are things that you'll NEVER find on YouTube!
    NOTICE: Registration will be end on October24th.
    Require your "VALID" First / last name and University/School name. After registration process submit your own PHOTO! (do not submit avatar or other image else new account will be banned)
    After above valid details your registration will be complited and then you will be able to download more songs. Your account will be banned in future if above conditions didn't met.
    For registration use this link - http://vk.com/reg203619

18. scum101

scum101 Guest

oh classic.. identity theft.com strikes again.

19. Mez

Mez Active member

sashu2009, you DO know this is a scam. No one can give away labled music. However, free music is a good deal just be wary.

20. marty55

marty55 Guest

hey everybody i got an album and it would not play and had these instructions to open with it.
    I'mandiot FILE PLAYING INSTRUCTIONS! edited by ddp

TO GET YOUR PASSWORD FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS...

1.) First go to this site:

http://i'manidiot.com edited by ddp

2.) Click on Get your RISK-FREE 14 DAY Trial button.

- Fill out the entire offer for the free 14 day trial.
    - (you will be able to cancel with 14 days)
    - On the completion page you will find the password.
    - Your password is within the sentence Your 14 day trial will
    - The password is the last 5 words in that sentence.
    - (17 letters long.)(No-Spaces)

3.) Then Change The Filesā€˜ Extension From .mp3 To .zip

4.) Open Your .zip Files With An Unzipping Tool.

5.) Enter Password Play Your New Music Files!
    is there anyway to get this to play????

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009