1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 file renamer

Discussion in 'Audio' started by glider1, Aug 11, 2005.

1. glider1

glider1 Guest

Need advice about some simple and convenient mp3 file renamer.
    What I need is just remove fore-part of file name:

from

www[1].Musiconmp3.com_-_02_-_Cerrone_-_2002_-_Hysteria_-_Gonna_Get_You.mp3

to

02_-_Cerrone_-_2002_-_Hysteria_-_Gonna_Get_You.mp3

just to remove this first part if file: "www[1].Musiconmp3.com_-_"

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yup. T&R is one of those softwares that is genuinely worth the $30 or whatever to register it. I've been using it for about 3 years now and haven't found anything better.

4. glider1

glider1 Guest

No. I need something more simple. My purpose is not editing tags, etc. I need only rename mp3 files, i.e. remove prefix from file name. I can do this manually, of course. But however there is a simple progs, which does not require installation, nor write any entries into registry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2005
  5. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

You can do that aswell in Tag & Rename. Download the program and see for yourself

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hence the name Tag & [bold]Rename[/bold]. The trial version is fully functional for 30 days I beleive to go try it. It is very simple to use and very good at what it does

7. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

As djscoop said, it's genuinely worth the $30 price tag.

8. nrautava

nrautava Guest

9. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

how is Tag & Renamer's playlist editor? does it have drag and drop capibilities? I have been looking for a good M3U playlist editor and I havent found one that can do all of this:

1. Drag and Drop capabilities (plus dropping option to drop in middle of the playlist [not just the end])
    2. Edit a playlist once it is made
    3. Enable you to view the playlist by song name or artist name with out changing the playlist order
    4. (if possible) create random list with song selections

what do you think? Are there any editors that can do this?

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

GodFather is free, but doesn't come close to Tag&Rename.

T&R has basic playlist functions, but nothing that advanced that you are looking for. Try TagScanner, I've used that in the past to make my playlists

11. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Thanks for the tip on tag&rename, it is a top program. I used to use godfather, but I think Im going to switch.

@djscoop, I'll give TagScanner a try. thanks

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I'm not really big on making playlists, so I'm not sure if it can do everything you want, but I know I used it with decent results.

13. glider1

glider1 Guest

And what about this program, File List Creator:

http://www.wensoftware.com/flc/

However, it looks, it have zero support, no any answers.
    My purpose is just rename accurately, cut prefix. However, I can do this manually.

14. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK, Tag & Rename is awesome, but I have a wierd problem. I had about 2500 mp3s that I was renaming for consistancy. What I did was Renamed all of my songs in the [artist] - [Title] format, then I tagged them all based on the File name and everything was perfect, so I thought. Today I noticed that ALL of the songs that I renamed were back to its original file name. The wierd thing is that all of the tags still remained.

[bold]For example:[/bold]
    I went from this:
    Dr_Dre_01_-_Nothing_but_a_G_Thing

Renamed it to this:
    Dr Dre - Nothing But A G Thing

Using the new File name from above, I tagged the song

Couple of days later the file name changed back to this:
    Dr_Dre_01_-_Nothing_but_a_G_Thing

I have no idea why it did this, does anyone have any clue. If it wasn't for this little hiccup, I would think Tag & Rename is the damn best program out there.

As far as I know, once you rename a file, it is renamed because there is no save button. Taking a stab at the dark, Im thinking maybe that because I have Windows Media Player Pointed to the folders were the songs are stored it is noticing that the files are renamed and is changing it back? I have no clue. any help?

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

that is strange. I don't think its an issue with T&R, because once the file is rename, it won't change it for no reason. The only thing I can think of is that WMP, or some other media player, has control over your files and automatically renames them for you. I know I had this issue with the MEXP plugin for winamp. As I loaded my files into its database to organize, it took control over the tags and totally changed them. So maybe look at WMP's settings and see what control it has over naming the files maybe? Check and see when specifically the files were altered, so maybe you can pinpoint what program you were using at the time