1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 files not in order on data disc

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by timcupery, Oct 4, 2002.

1. timcupery

timcupery Member

Hey all, I have a portable "discman"-type cd player that can also read mp3 files. So I've converted most of my favorite albums to mp3 and put them on CD-R, usually 13-17 albums per disc. My player reads the files IN THE ORDER THAT THEY WERE BURNED TO THE DISC. To burn the files to the disc in the correct order, I simply had to make sure that the files were created (or modified) in the order that they appeared on the album. And if they weren't created in the correct order, I could cut and paste them into another folder on my hard drive, and then back into the original one, which worked to reorder them (I've set up a filename structure which includes date of album release, and then tracknumber, to organize the files "alphabetically" in the order of the songs as they appeared on the album, and the albums by when they were released. Example:
    U2\1997--Pop\U2--03--Mofo
    So when I moved the files back and forth between directories, I’d be moving them in the correct order and thus “modifying” them in the correct order. This worked perfectly when I was running Windows 98. In Win98(SE), Winamp also will order files it loads to the command “add dir” by the same logic as they are burned to cd – based on when the file was modified.

However, since updating to Win2k, whenever I attempt to burn mp3 discs, the album folders are not correctly ordered, nor are the files within them correctly ordered. I’ve wondered if this depends upon the way in which the OS affects the burning program’s communication with the burner (I use NTI CD-Maker 2000 Plus), such as Win2k’s way of ordering files is different than Win98’s. With Win2k, checking the order of the files when I “load dir” in winamp is no longer a reliable test as to whether the files will be burned in the correct order. Even if I pull all of the files off an mp3 data cd I burned (correctly) back when I ran Win98, onto my hard drive, so they are being added to the hard drive in exactly the correct order... when I burn these to another data disc, they don’t come out in the correct order.

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation/query, but if anyone has any info or wisdom on this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

2. timcupery

timcupery Member

btw, I've loaded Nero onto my computer (still with Win2k, of course), and data tracks are burned in correct order. So is seems the program makes the difference, though NTI CD-Maker, at least, is affected by the OS as far as it orders the burning of mp3 files on a data disc.