1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 question can anyone steer me right?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by zenarrrow, Feb 10, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have an RCA lyra Very cheep mp3 player the most amount of songs I can get on their is around 24. How can I shrink the bit rate on them? I am clueless, I believe you can get more on there. Any help would be great Thanks ---zen-->

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi zenarrow
    I have used acoustica mp3 to wave converter for some time now,You can reduce the bitrate to suit yourself,You may have to convert to wave files first then convert back to mp3 that's where you can change the bitrate.
    You can download a demo from here http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-wav-converter/
    Hope this helps.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

WOW thats all greek to me I am just using my music match on my pc and go to portable device, I have to use another program?

4. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi,
    It's very easy to use you should give it a try,
    It will be worth it,Very easy to use.

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK i will give it a try. But your in this with for the long haul..LOL. Will you help me through it? ( I am not very comp literate, these forums have helped me through a lot) I will download the trial version. Then if I like it I will buy it. Also I have all my music on my music match will they be able to convert? Thanks dougal ---zen-->

6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I don't get it, this is what I have done, down loaded my cds on to my music match on my pc hooked up my mp3 player it will only let me get 24 songs can I get more without buying more software?

7. billwebso

billwebso Guest

In Music Match go to file>convert. Select your mp3 files from the browser. Make sure your convert selected tracks to is set to mp3. Under this option you'll see a little slide bar. Slide it to the left to reduce kbps (this is quality and will reduce your file size. You probably don't want to make it less than 96kbps as you will really be able to notice the reduced quality. 96kbps is considered FM radio quality.

8. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Oh, how many mb is your mp3 player?

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

It is only 128

10. billwebso

billwebso Guest

You should be able to fit almost 3hrs on it with 96kbps files

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey billwebso I didn'y see your first response How do I convert selected tracks to mp3? Thanks for the help.

12. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Under "Convert selected tracks to" Choose MP3. Under this you will see a slide bar. Slide it to the left until it gets to 96 kbps the press start which is right below where it should now say 96 kbps.

13. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK I have My music match open where is "convert selected tracks"? Do I need to put some on the play list window? Thanks

14. billwebso

billwebso Guest

In the future, or as a possibly easier way follow these steps.

1. COPY FROM CD
    2. SELECT TOOLS
    3. SETTINGS
    4. SET RECORDING FORMAT TO MP3
    5. SELECT NEAR CD QUALITY
    6. CLICK OK
    7. THEN START COPY

Then you will have the MP3 files at an acceptable size for MP3 player.

15. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Choose file in the upper left hand corner this will bring up a menu. Choose convert files.

16. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK for now on when I copy from cd I will do that. I did click file, then convert files. A screen came up that says music match file conversion. Sorry what do I do next? I can't get anything into the highlight files to be converted box. soory for all the pain.

17. billwebso

billwebso Guest

choose the folder that your mp3 files are in and then click select all.

18. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK I think I got. First of all thanks for all your help. When I click "start" a file conversion error comes up and says "out put file already exist do I want to delete this file and continue" that won't delete all my music will it?!!!! Also if I ever want to burn a cd can I convert it back for the time being?

19. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Change the file names or chose a different folder to put the converted files in if you want to keep the original files unaltered.

You could use either the original files or converted files to burn to CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

So if I change the file destination to another folder the source file will stay the same in cd format? That way I can keep my music in mp3 and cd format? Thanks