1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 to DVD-A

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by solracae, Sep 17, 2006.

1. solracae

solracae Member

I just bought a car (acura TL) that brings a a dvd-a / dts system. The very small quantity of music available in these formats is driving ;) me crazy. Whats worse, the acura people included a tape player but no mp3 capability. SO, to my question, Can i use the increased DVD capacity to burn non-surround music and hopefully get more than 80min of audio from one disc? My old car played mp3 so i only carried 4 discs with me, do i have to go back to lugging 50cds with me?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Yes, you can.
    DVD-A will write both Stereo and Surround audio files.
    In Stereo you can have any sample rate & resolution from CD quality at 16/44.1 all the way up to 24/192.
    The cheapest application I know of is $35, called DVD-Audio Solo.
    See http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm
    Also, there is an open source project at http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
    although this is not based on the actual specs, but reverse engineering & is not reliable.
    A more reliable free application can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/

Running in CD quality (Stereo, 16/44.1) you will get up to 7 hours on a single disc.
    The Acura player is apparently very good indeed - I know people who use this and have nothing but praise for it.

Any more questions, you are in the right place sir!
    The Adobeman GUI could well be the place to start. It looks as if it will take whatever source files you have & do what is necessary.....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  3. solracae

solracae Member

Thank you very much. You guys rock! (in high def and surround!)

4. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

It'll become much more easier to make DVD-Audio discs with MP3 tracks now that Fraunhofer IIS has released it's standards for Surround Sound MP3 (MP3 SX). MP3 SX is backwards compatible with the older MP3 standards so look for software based on this new format in the near future. Nero is considering adding DVD-Audio capability to their burning software in the near future.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

So what?

Then let's hope they make a better job of it than they have DVD-Video.
    The best entry level DVD-A application is Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo at $35, plus there is a free DVD-A GUI by Adobeman.

6. solracae

solracae Member

I dont understand, even if the mp3 SX is backwards compatible does it mean that it will play in normal non mp3 playing dvd-audio players?

7. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Wahat I mean is you would use an authoring program to convert MP3 SX files to DVD-A files without losing the 5.1 configuration.

8. solracae

solracae Member

Ahhhhh, all becomes clearer.....

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I don't know if the Adobeman GUI would work with Multichannel MP3 or not.
    Try it - it's free - http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/

Failing that, you would need to decode the MP3 back to 5.1 WAV files, and then author with this, or else Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo ($35).

If you need more complex authoring, the price starts going up.....

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

maybe i'm missing something here but, uh, why would you want to convert your compressed lossy mp3s to DVD-A? they are going to be the same quality as burning them to a standard audio CD...

good to see ya wilkes! how have you been? I quit my teaching job and now do sound for film and tv full time...fun stuff, but its taken away all my free time!

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I guess because you can fit a lot more onto a DVD-A when decoded to 16/44.1 than you can on a CD - if your in-car player won't play an MP3 CD. (Which is the problem that the original poster has)
    Aside from that, there is no reason. There is no quality increase whatsoever, of course.

djscoop.
    Sound for film & TV isn't really like working though - it's like having fun & getting paid for it.
    Okay, as I have found out, Film is much more demanding & much less forgiving compared to music - but that is all part of the fun.

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

good point, i didn't consider the amount of songs you can fit...

yeah, the motion picture biz it is a lot of fun, but its also a pretty demanding job...dealing with bumhole directors can really ruin your day. but just the fact that I get to record with a Nagra 4.2-S TC all day (and backup to DAT) makes it worth while!!! i have had the luxury of growing up in the industry (my dad is a prop master) so i luckily have a lot of connections...which without you will get absolutely nowhere, no matter how good your skills are.

what projects have you been working on?

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Lots and lots of DVD-Audio & DVD-Video material.
    Various 5.1 mixes as well, lots of stuff really.....

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

do you do any SACD stuff (I know that DVD-Audio is better, just wondering). what software are you using for your 5.1 mastering? Have been working with the new Pro Tools 7 past few months, not much improvement from the 6 series. I don't like it cause all my WAVES plugins won't work with it, so its pretty much useless.

15. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    I loathe SACD and DSD - drop me an email for some interesting Spectrum plots!!
    5.1 Mastering?
    I use a combination of things:
    Nuendo 3.2.1
    Steinberg Surround Edition
    Waves 360 Bundle
    Various Stereo plugs in special configurations, with some routing to make it all happen using Child Busses - much more flexible (IMHO) than PooTools is, and without the constant crashing either!!
    Voxengo do some interesting stuff, and I use the Kelly Systems Bass Management for the Control Room, whilst leaving the main 5.1 output buss "as played" so I do not need to turn off BM.
    Also use MixerDelay to compensate for the fact my rear channels are 2 feet furtheraway from me than the front 3, so a 2ms delay is applied to LCR to compensate.

Drop me a mail for full details!

Authoring is all now done with Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator - what a superb application that is now it has got to 3.0.11!!