1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP4 Multiple audio tracks - How to remove one?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by hgrail4, Dec 10, 2008.

1. hgrail4

hgrail4 Member

Got a swag of MP4 files that have two audio streams - one in Russian, the other in English. I can switch between the streams easy enough in vlc, but I want to use iTunes to manage my (rather large) video catalouge. (And before you ask I'm using Windoze, not a Mac)

iTunes of course loves mp4, but curiously will play BOTH audio streams at the same time. I've scoured the net looking for a way to toggle between the two using iTunes but alas no joy.

My question is, is there a way to strip out/delete the unwanted audio track? I've got a sinking feeling this will mean re-transcoding gigs of stuff (which I'm still fairly new too) but if anyplace has an easier/better solution, it's here!

Many thanks for any assistance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can use 'Yamb' to remove the track.
    Elect to create an mp4 then drag the file onto the window.
    The streams can be checked using the 'Properties' feature (it should have a language listing - English or Russian).
    Deselect the appropriate track and save the file.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/YAMB

[​IMG]

3. hgrail4

hgrail4 Member

Wow perfect - thanks attar.

Pity that Yamb doesn't have a batch or mass job system but at least this gives me something to do at work today! lol

Thanks again mate.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hopefully no one minds if i butt in...:)
    Yamb does not have a batch option, however, YAMB is just an interface for other software, like Mp4Box. Mp4box can be used from command line.
    If you have already used Yamb, it should have created an Yamb.log file in the folder where you saved the output file(just do a search for Yamb.log).
    In the log file, look for the line that says "Command line used for creation:"c:\program files\yamb\mp4box.exe" -add...." .

From that, you can build a batch file to process your mp4 files. I tested it with 2 files, and it worked. Here is how mine looked like(I only had a file with one audio though, no difference probably):

"c:\program files\yamb\mp4box.exe" -add "J:\Yambtest\Red Cliff.mp4#1" -add "J:\Yambtest\Red Cliff.mp4#2" -new "J:\Mp4test\Red Cliff.mp4" (one line,you copy it from Yamb.log and just replace the files name)
    "c:\program files\yamb\mp4box.exe" -add "J:\Yambtest\Red Cliff1.mp4#1" -add "J:\Yambtest\Red Cliff1.mp4#2" -new "J:\Mp4test\Red Cliff1.mp4"
    Write a line for each file you want to process....

this will make a new mp4 file, using track#1-the video, and track#2, the audio. In your case, since you have 2 audio tracks, you have to figure out which is the track that you need, you might use#1(I think it is always the video) and #3.

You will do this by opening a new Notepad file, and at the end save as Whatever name.bat

Hopefully it works for you. I never really used command lines, but searching for a "Yamb batch", I found the idea at VideoHelp and I thought I'd give it a try:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/command-line-syntax-for-mp4box-t354153.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. attar

attar Senior member

Sounds good.