1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP4 RockChip Help

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by King_09, Jan 18, 2009.

1. King_09

King_09 Member

Alright, So I recently purchased a Rockchip MP4 player from Hong Kong and I plugged in the USB wire into my computer and successfully put songs and movies on it with no problems. But then I tried to update my firmware, I went to settings and then opened the firmware upgrade option on my mp4 and then plugged the usb wire into my computer and my computer said that it suddenly didnt recognize the program in the usb drive and that the program must of malfunctioned. My computer is brand new with everything up to code so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Please help me.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

You bought a Chipod. They are made with defective parts. Syncing them usually kills them and I am sure upgrading the firmware is probably a fatal mistake. You options now are hit it with a hammer or find a web site that will tell you how to take them apart and short circut the CPU to re boot it. That has less than a 1 in 10 change of working.

3. LdyEsq

LdyEsq Member

Dunno if the firmware fix from a March 2006 post could be helpful to you, subject: "How to: Update the firmware for your MP3/MP4 player". It looks complicated, and states there is *no* guarantee it will work. If nothing's working anyway, my thinking is, there's no harm in trying it. Also saw an earlier post for MP4 manual, creating AMV files, and software for AMV Tools and firmware extractor. Not myself a techno-geek; dunno if it might be helpful to you but might give you a place to start from. Also remember seeing another earlier post with a link telling how to take it apart and short it to reboot.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Chipods do OK playing what ever syncing tends to shorten their life span. I would expect updated firmware to be a sure way to kill your device.

My advice is not to update software or firmware on any device that is working OK. Updates can be trouble for even the high end players like Apple and Zune. Zune had a deadly update that killed a large number of Zunes. One guy that does repairs saw 10 Zunes in a week that had to be thrown away.

5. runezerg

runezerg Regular member

i also bought this, and it seems to work fine for me, plus theres a year warranty from the owner so its cool if it breaks lol but i wanted to know
    where the heck do i download games for this thing!!! and how do i play them? the tetris they have on the mp4 doesnt work properly for me but everything else does!