1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mp4 to .vob

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by kizexeta, May 22, 2009.

1. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

I stream blu ray movies from my PC to my PS3. One of the patches for the PS3 ruined .mp4 streaming and causes massive stuttering so im stuck encoding my movies to .vob just to get them to play right now. Ive gotten most of them encoded but a few of them are giving me keyframe errors with AVI demux. Its saying the beginning frame is not a key frame when im using move to next key frame and cutting out the frames before. So i know its a keyframe but it wont work.

General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : F:\Downloads\
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : BluRay Video
    File size : 10.5 GiB
    Duration : 2h 23mn
    Overall bit rate : 10.5 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Bit rate : 9 430 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 9 471 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.400
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.256
    Writing library : x264 core 56 svn-680
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=5 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=2 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / bime=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=9471 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.3

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

All of these ones im having problems with are the BDAV format, so im not quite sure what to do to change this file to .vob so my PS3 will play it without lag.

What i did with the other files which are MPEG-4 format is i load them up in AVIDEMUX save them as .mkv then i change them over to .vob with mkv2vob.

I just need to change the container without any sort of encoding since i dont want to ruin the quality of the movies. Any help would be greatly appreciated this is driving me crazy having my movies stutter every 10 seconds because of sonys crappy patch.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

The BDAV folder should have a directory called STREAM within it, in that folder there should be a m2ts or m2t file. Stream that file directly.

You can also copy (via streaming) any size m2ts file... I mean any with no restrictions.

If for some reason your video file in the BDAV structure is other than what I suggested use the latest tsMuxeR to mux to m2ts. The stats of your movie you provided indicates the movie itself is compatible as-is, no recoding is necessary.

http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.10.6.zip

3. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

What do you mean by the BDAV folder, its a .mp4 file so i dont know what you mean by the BDAV folder. Also it wont open in tsMuxer it crashes it soon as i try opening.

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

BDAV, in the "General" section of the description. BDAV is a type of Blu-ray structure. Also, the audio is AC3, which also leads me to believe that your source file is not MP4... AC3 is generally not compatible with MP4.

Did you convert your original file from anything to MP4?

See below, the format is Blu-ray video, not MP4. The video codec is MPEG-4 AVC, is that what you mean by MP4?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  5. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

What i mean is the extension was .mp4 when i downloaded it. I know its not a MPEG format but im saying its in a .mp4 container and it wont load properly in anything for me to change the container so the PS3 will play it without stuttering.

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

OK, strange it's in MP4 with AC3 audio... they are not compatible, this must be why it is stuttering.

Try using MKVmerge(GUI) and remux the MP4 to MKV, then use tsMuxeR and remux the MKV to M2TS, or whichever method you use for VOB. The M2TS will stream to your PS3. There is no transcoding involved, just a lot of remuxing.

7. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

Well i open it in mkvmerge and it says Your adding an AVC/H.264 elementary stream to the output file and it cannot determine FPS. So i manually set the FPS and resolution to match MediaInfo of the file.

All mkvmerge shows under tracks is :
    MPEG-4part 1 10ES (ID 0, type: video) From Name.mp4

It muxed didnt give any errors then when i go to open it in mkv2vob to change it over it tells me No Valid audio track found and does nothing.

Also when i try playing the .mkv after the muxing to just test it out its nothing but a gray window with some pixelation moving around on the top and a green vertical bar that is moving through the video.

I tried it 3 different ways i tried not settings the FPS, resolution and then i tried setting just 1 of the 2 all 3 outcomes are the same gray window with pixelation.

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm assuming the audio was muxed in MKVmerge, it just doesn't register in MKVtoVOB.

Mux to MKV as you were, make sure to set the FPS to 23.976 (or 24000/1001)... if you don't it will default to 25 FPS. Take that MKV and use tsMuxeR and mux to m2ts. Try that file directly with your PS3.

9. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

Ok i muxxed it to MKV then tried opening it in TsMuxer and it says:
    Some tracks not recognized. this track was ignored.

Then there are no tracks that show up at all so i cant mux it to M2TS.

10. odin24

odin24 Regular member

This is unusual, I'm not sure what to do. You might have a corrupt file. Does the orignal file play at all in Media Player Classic, or your choice of media player?

You could use YAMB (and mp4box) to demux the raw audio and video, try loading them individually in either tsMuxeR or MKVmerge. If it is the audio giving you issues you can reencode it with eac3to... If it's the video you may be S.O.L.

I'm sorry I cannot be any more help, this is a very strange issue.

11. kizexeta

kizexeta Member

Its ok im not sure what the people who made these files did. I cant even load them in YAMB it crashes it too so im just gonna redownload them in .mkv format.

Thanks alot for trying your best to help me though i appreciate it :)

12. odin24

odin24 Regular member

That might be a good idea.