1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP4 tp XVID

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by fiziksx, May 30, 2007.

1. fiziksx

fiziksx Guest

Hello Again

I'm back with another MP4 question, I own a Phillips Home Dvd Player that is divx certified (model-DVP642) The manual states that it is in fact mp4 compatable as does the official Phillips website, yet when I insert a mp4 disc I have burned w/ NERO the player's LED display locks up on "loading" then spits the disc out. If I access the root menu option it even shows the MP4 logo beside the file on the disc but wont access it , anyway I was wondering if theres any software out there for mp4 to xvid conversion , I have tons of divx/mp4 discs which is why I bought the player in the first place.

Thanks So Much!

2. ebega

ebega Regular member

Couple of programs come to mind:

Super
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Xvid4PSP
    http://www.winnydows.com/xvid4psp.html

I don't know much about Nero Digital, but I am wondering if Nero Digital files can only be played in Nero Digital Certified players. Perhaps try to create a "generic" MP4 file with one of the programs listed above and try to play it on your DVD player.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

mp4 is a container, Xvid is a video codec. You can have Xvid in an mp4 or you can have an mp4 that doesn't contain Xvid. Well in Nero's case it will never be Xvid, but in terms of mp4 there is no difference between Nero Digital, Xvid, DivX or any other MPEG-4 Part 2 encoder. All video is treated the same (unlike AVI where each has its own 4CC).

What you are actually asking is about converting mp4 to avi. Now as long as you didn't encode using AVC, then you can just use yamb/mp4box to demux to avi. The audio though would need re-encoding. My advice would be to delete the mp4 and encode to avi from your source.

As for mp4's and the DVP-642. I have never seen it refered to as mp4 compatible. You will see such players refered to as MPEG-4 or MPEG4 compatible though, which in this case means MPEG-4 video in an avi container with a compatible FourCC and audio codec. In other words the only thing MPEG-4 is the video and if it has packed bitstream, then even that isn't really MPEG-4 compatible.

Yes players that support mp4's will generally be Nero Digital certified, but they don't have to be. The only things "Nero" about their mp4's are the chapters and VOBSubs, but the files are still 100% MPEG-4 compliant.