1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mp4 vs. Mp3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ruffdawg, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ruffdawg

ruffdawg Guest

Hey,

I recently came across this new audio format, and believe me, I have seen them come and go. But the one fact that has got me scratching my head was the fact that the Mp3 format is over a decade old.

Now I love audio quality and if i can achive better quality at the same (or even lower) bitrate, i think i would like to make the switch.

Now i have, side by side, listened to an mp3 file and the converted mp4 file, and cant tell much of a difference, so this is why i would like to get your opinions.

One more quick note, I am an Mp3Gain user, and this program isnt compatible with the mp4 format. Is there a program out there that will give me great laveling results but with the mp4 format?

Thanks

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

most propably the mp4 is encoded in aac.

FAAC is free, HE-AAC can be found on nero.

you can use aacgain

if your original file is in mp3 there is no point in converting it. use only to convert from raw audio or lossless source. or high bitrate source like 448kbps ac3.

aac is more efficient than mp3 thus the smaller filesize and quality

try vorbis, musepack

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, MusePack is by far the best sounding audio codec available. It also encodes in the blink of an eye. Try encoding one of your favorite CD tracks in Mp3 (32-320 kbps, VBR), MP4 (32-320 kbps, VBR), and then MusePack ("Standard"). I recommend [bold]dBpowerAMP[/bold] for the job.

Ogg Vorbis is a great altenative to Mp3,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005