1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPAA Piracy commercials

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Bladestor, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

I went to see "American Wedding" today and during the Trailers they played one of the new MPAA anti-piracy commercials. If anyone has seen them yet, this one was about a guy who works on various movie sets. He talked about how Piracy "affects his paycheck".
    Excuse me, but what the HELL is he talking about? He gets payed when the movie is done filming. How the hell can piracy affect is pay? I'm too pissed at the MPAA's bullshit to type anymore, so someone please reply.

2. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

I, too, dislike the new MPAA comercials, however they are using an interesting approach. Instead of showing the big name actors, they show you the 'common' little man -- the man just trying to eek out a living to support his 2.5 children. By attempting to circumvent the "I can pirate a movie because <Actor's Name Here> get's paid way too much anyway" argument, they are essentially validating this argument! In all truth, the MPAA is agreeing that their big-name actors (etc.) are being paid too much, and that piracy cannot hurt them.
    However, the MPAA does have a point with their ads -- if every movie was pirated, and nobody paid for movies, they would stopped being made. But has that happened? Not exactly. To me, any single product that nets more than 100 million dollars can hardly be called a failure.
    One question though: If you *paid* to goto a movie, why are they telling you not to pirate a movie? That seems rather insulting, considering you are paying to see that ad.

3. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

Good question, that is an insult!

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

yeah...you own the movie now, you purchased it when you bought your ticket

5. dancooln

dancooln Member

lol thats a good point, just like buying a DVD. You bought it with your money so now you should be able to do anything you want with it. i thikn the same with Movies that are still in theaters.

6. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

I think we can probably all agree that there are legal restrictions as to what you can 'do' with a movie you goto watch, however the question is how? By buying a ticket, are you agreeing to some invisible fine print limiting your options? Is that built into copyright? Is that part of the agreement the movie theater signs, and if so how does that effect your rights? Just wondering...

7. ABMone

ABMone Guest

i dont think they have to worry about anyone pirating Gigli.

but seriously if that little guy on the set isn't making enough money and is such a big part in the movie then he needs to go on strike or something cause they makin millions.

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I dislike all xxAA companies. Yes it's an insult, but a reminder for the people who actually pirate stuff and watch movies. I'm not defending them.