1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPC Encoding

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Zigo, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Zigo

Zigo Member

I need some help with MPC encoding.

First, I use Streambox Ripper to change the CD's .cda file to .wav

I tried to encode to mpc straight from the cd, but that didn't seem to work.

Then, I used Speek's MPC Batch Encoder to translate the .wav to .mpc

Now, I tried to change the tags for both Streambox and Speek's Encoder, but I haven't had any luck. So far, it just comes up as:

CD_Digital Audio_Track_1
    MPC File
    5,330KB

When it should come up as something like:

We Are All Made Of Stars
    Moby

It allows me to edit the info on Streambox but does not show up. I have the Tag.exe in the same folder as the MPC batch encoder and it also allows me to edit the tags (Artist & Album ONLY) but still does nothing.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to rip into MPC straight from CD or do I need to turn it into WAV format first?

2. How do I change the tags in MPC?

3. How do I get an MPC log? (After a batch, it has all MPC audio, but no log)

Anyone who knows how to do this, please help. Thanks.

Zigo

2. markusk

markusk Regular member

1. EAC allows direct mpc encoding using mppenc as external encoder. The REX guide has a good tutorial about setting up EAC correcly and using mppenc as external encoder. REX guide: http://www.rex-guide.de.vu/

The other option is to rip CD -> wav and then wav -> mpc using Speek's frontend like you said. That frontend is really useful since you can also use it to decode mpc -> wav and also apply replaygain to mpc files

2. One option is to use Case's Tag program with the aid of Speek's frontend. Case's Tag page: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

I do all of my tagging using Tag & Speek's Tag Frontend. Those two can also be used to make m3u playlists of mpc files.

BTW: nowdays APE2 is the preferred tag format for mpc. You can also use ID3V1 if nescessary but ID3V2 is definitive no-no.

3. some relevant options from mppenc --longhelp:
    --displayupdatetime n
    --stderr fn

Example: mppenc --verbose --xlevel --stderr "C:\encoding.log" --displayupdatetime -999 C:\source.wav C:\target.mpc

BTW: that --xlevel means that the encoder will use a special clipping protection method. Nowdays keep it in the command line always.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003